Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP revalidation by experience (merged)

tschnell wrote:

No, but the relevant sections of the “Examiner Differences Document” need to be complied with.
https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Examiner%20Differences%20Document_version_2020Q1.pdf

It is sobering to look at this document. Whenever there is a complaint about EASA, consider that 30 years ago, if not less, you could make such a differences document for every aspect of flight regulations, including Rules of the Air, Ops rules, License rules….

International VFR flight in Europe required an enormous amount of preparation. People were publishing books such as this one. IFR was easier, but nowhere near as easy as today.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

What has EASA done for us

Yes; there were books like the above “Going Foreign” but that’s largely because

• PPL training stops at the local burger run level of capability
  • Some people just feel the need (apologies to Tom Cruise) to write a book; the sales were extremely low e.g. one called Instrument Flying, published by PPL/IR, with some stuff from me in it, sold only a few hundred, IIRC

In practice, VFR or IFR has not significantly changed around Europe in the 20 years I’ve been flying. I did a presentation on VFR in Europe and it became obvious that making people confident to fly abroad involved largely stuff their school should have taught them in the first place. One thing which is much easier now is comms while travelling, with email, smartphones, FP filing, etc. Nobody ever gave a damn about whether VFR in one country is 1000ft clear of cloud and 100ft clear of cloud in another

I agree the FCL and airframe licensing scene has become much more uniform, but this affects only a few. And most of them are on EuroGA Most people flew, and do today, on a license issued by their own country, flying a plane registered in their own country. Unless they are N-reg in which case EASA has complicated their position massively, in its anti American drive, and has probably shrunk the IFR community. EASA has facilitated “license and aircraft reg tourism” (and then under AME lobby pressure had to stamp out the “medical tourism” which JAA made possible). So people moved their Cessnas from D-reg to G-reg to avoid the wing spar checks and then back again, etc.

An expired rating can be renewed by attempting a proficiency check with an appropriate Part-FCL examiner. In this case the examiner need not be under UK administration on the condition that the examiner complies with the instructions in the EASA EDD. The examiner shall endorse the certificate of revalidation if the rating is still listed there otherwise it must be re-issued by the authority.

At which point does the pilot regain the privilege if the rating is still listed there? If it immediately, or when the CAA has processed it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks @tschnell
Happy to see the LBA now accepting email instead of fax.

Regarding revalidation the examiner differences document says

4.2 Licence Endorsement Procedures
The authorisation required by ARA.FCL.200(c) before endorsing a pilot licence is hereby given for revalidating only. ARA.FCL.200(c) is applicable only, if the examiner has conducted the skill test personally

In other words:
For IR: Only the examiner on my ME IR prof. check can, using cross crediting, also revalidate my SE IR (manual license entry).

For SEP:
12 hours, 6 PIC and the above prof. check = revalidation criteria fulfilled. Who can do the manual license entry? I’d say any street CRI/FI/FE, right?

Thanks!

ARA.FCL.200 (c)
The competent authority shall establish procedures for participation in a mutual exchange of all necessary information and assistance with other competent authorities concerned including on all findings raised and follow-up actions taken as a result of oversight of persons and organisations exercising activities in the territory of a Member State, but certified by the competent authority of another Member State or the Agency.

always learning
LO__, Austria

@Snoopy it is the same here for SEP revalidation, licence is signed by FI/CRI. MEP, MEIR or SEPIR revalidated by a flight with an examiner then there is no need for the hour with an FI/CRI. All details are entered on the SIGIBEL website, and you print that off, show it to the FI/CRI and he/she simply signs and dates your SEP for the next 2 years.

France

Thanks.

I do the prof check in a multi pilot multi engine ir plane.

For SE IR I fly 3 DEP/APP within previous 12 months.
Revalidation entry performed by the examiner doing above prof. stated check.

For SEP I fly 12h/6pic within previous 12 months.
Revalidation entry performed by any CRI/CRI/FE (note: no actual flying with the license entry person involved).

always learning
LO__, Austria

172driver wrote:

What I admiittedly don’t know is if the date of the flight or the date of the UK FI signature is the important date

My understanding it is the date of the examiner signature on the back of the license rather than the flight date (UK CAA took a pragmatic approach to allow people to sort their required criteria FCL.740.A(b)(ii) 12months well before re-validation date when the license is signed)

Say, say you do 3 aerobatic flights of 20min in 3 different days to finish that 1h refresher, then on a later day go to an FE/FI/CRI with FCL.945 when everything in FCL.740.A(b)(ii) is ticked to get a sign-off

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Yes; there were books like the above “Going Foreign” but that’s largely because
  • PPL training stops at the local burger run level of capability
  • Some people just feel the need (apologies to Tom Cruise) to write a book; the sales were extremely low e.g. one called Instrument Flying, published by PPL/IR, with some stuff from me in it, sold only a few hundred, IIRC

Peter, I was started flying in 1983. I can assure you that even at that time my capability was well above the burger run level. I had the “Going foreign VFR book.” It served a real need and it sold well enough for several editions to be published. It was also not the only such book on the market. An alternative was to pay for the Bottlang VFR manual (the forerunner of the Jeppesen VFR manual).

Most of the 1980s there was no internet and when there was, you could certainly not find any AIPs there. To read a foreign AIP you had to visit a real briefing office at a major international airport where hardcopy AIPs were kept. I made many such visits to plan trips abroad but that was realistic only because I lived 20 minutes by car from Stockholm/Arlanda.

As far as the Rules of the Air goes, things did get more uniform when ICAO introduced the alphabetic airspace classification sometime in the 1990s. Even if every country applied lots of exceptions you still got a general idea of what was expected — and you would find the classification on the charts.

There was an ICAO classification before the alphabetic one, but that was not fit for purpose (Instrument Restricted, Instrument/Visual and Visual Exempted, corresponding roughly to current classes A, B and E) so very few countries applied it without modifications. The only way to find out what was required was to read up.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ibra wrote:

Say, say you do 3 aerobatic flights of 20min in 3 different days to finish that 1h refresher, then on a later day go to an FE/FI/CRI with FCL.945 when everything in FCL.740.A(b)(ii) is ticked to get a sign-off

might be country by country, but I guess 1 hr flight might be a series of flights but on the same day. And duly signed by FI/CIR in the logbook….are the countries where actual licence can be signed by FI/CRI ? I believe this is for FE /CRE only..

LKKU, LKTB

Ibra wrote:

Say, say you do 3 aerobatic flights of 20min in 3 different days to finish that 1h refresher,

IIRC the regs say ‘One hour flight with an instructor’, so I somewhat doubt your 3 times 20 mins are going to make the cut. I could, of course, be wrong.

172driver wrote:

IIRC the regs say ‘One hour flight with an instructor’, so I somewhat doubt your 3 times 20 mins are going to make the cut. I could, of course, be wrong.

Czech CAA clearly says " a flight or series of flights within the same day".

Last Edited by Michal at 27 Jan 18:32
LKKU, LKTB
Sign in to add your message