Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rotax announce new 135 HP engine 915S / 915iS

Here:

My eternal scepticism can’t help wondering:

-) yet more power out of the same block? Already the 100HP is rumoured to be less reliable than the 80HP…
-) available only in 2017, a full two years yet? Make that 2018, presumably?
-) No indication of pricing? But at least they are not asking for deposits

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Cool – I hope it fits under my Europa-cowling

EDLE

;) you might have to add some extra ventilation channels, though – what goes out (hot) must come in (cool) …

Even worse: your present 912S will have to keep on running for two more years!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I have the 914 installed now, so waiting for two years is not too hard for me

EDLE

This looks to be a turbocharged version of the 912S (1352 cc), while the 914 is the turbocharged version of the 912 (1211 cc). With both “turbo” and “i”, I wonder what the price will be, 3 x a 912 ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Think about what your paying for the Lycosaurus, tecnically from 1950 and I would be happy to invest in up to date equipement which – naturelly – comes for a price.

EDLE

When I finished my plane , I would put a 80hp Rotax…..

rotax 135hp.
electronic injection +turbo + small engine = no thanks

many parts , many possibilities of problems in a small engine

Its a good engine for drones, the pilot is on the ground

pasion por volar
LEVX CERVAL

celtico wrote:

Its a good engine for drones, the pilot is on the ground

All experience with the 912 range of engines shows they are much more reliable than a Lycoming/Continental. Reliability is definitely not a problem. The price however, for a FADEC turbo will not be small. My guess is closer to €50k.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I don’t think that it’ll be that expensive. The 912 iS is a couple of thouseds on top of the 912S and the 914 is <30k. So even >40k would surprise me.

EDLE

LeSving wrote:

The price however, for a FADEC turbo will not be small. My guess is closer to €50k.

That might be expensive, until you start to compare it with an IO360, which is more expensive, low tech, has its share of reliability problems, and outputs less BHP above 5000ft.

(Ok I don’t know how much continuous power it will output, but in many 912 installations you can apparently get >95% until the tank runs dry).

Last Edited by tomjnx at 22 Jul 08:23
LSZK, Switzerland
121 Posts
Sign in to add your message