Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Where to find EASA (or UK post-brexit) regs?

I agree with Josh. EASA regs are terrible to find or work your way through.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

EASA regs are terrible to … work your way through.

I won’t argue with that.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I was just trying to find a consolidated version of the AMC to Part-FCL – No joy.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

I was just trying to find a consolidated version of the AMC to Part-FCL – No joy.

I always use the reg number to find it EUR-LEX (1178/2001)

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Can you find the AMCs in EUR-LEX?

Airborne_Again wrote:

Can you find the AMCs in EUR-LEX?

I would say no, thay are not “regulation”, they are “soft law”

And actually, reciprocally I have never found the regulations on the EASA website, just their name and numbers to look them up in EUR-LEX

Last Edited by PapaPapa at 10 Aug 16:49

PapaPapa wrote:

And actually, reciprocally I have never found the regulations on the EASA website, just their name and numbers to look them up in EUR-LEX

There are direct links to them now. See my posting above.

Oh I see….
I would flag this as bad design…. put an unclickable reference in the header while if you click the “header title” it will drop down and provide all likns…

Thanks @Airborne_Again !

A quick guide on how to find EASA regulations.

First know what you’re looking for. The most relevant regulations for private pilots/owners concern:

• Licensing rules (“part-FCL”)
  • Traffic rules (“SERA”)
  • Operational rules (“part-NCO”)
  • Maintenance rules (“part-M”)

Secondly, you should have a basic understanding of the structure of EASA regulations.

Each regulation consists of a number of “articles” followed by “annexes”. The articles cover things like applicability of the rules, entry into force, derogations, definitions etc. and can usually be skipped. The actual rules are in the annexes.

Associated with the regulations are separate “AMC/GM” documents (Acceptable Means of Compliance / Guidance Material). These are not themselves law (they are sometimes called “soft law”) but clarify the regulations and give advice on how to comply with them. You generally have to follow the AMCs.

When a regulation is changed, it it usually not reissued. Instead a change regulation is issued. This can make it a pain to read regulations with several changes as you must cross-reference several documents as you read.

Fortunately, EASA publishes “consolidated versions” of some regulations where all changes have been incorporated. There are also “Easy Access” versions which consolidate both the original regulation, any changes and the AMC/GM into a single document. The Easy Access versions are also the only ones to include a table of contents.

If there is an Easy Access version, use it! Otherwise use consolidated versions, if available.

Now how to actually find the regulations:

Go to the EASA web page (www.easa.europa.eu). Click on “Regulations”.

Scroll down to the appropriate section: “Continuing Airworthiness” for part-M, “Aircrew” for part-FCL, “Air Operations” for part-NCO and “SERA – Standardised European Rules of the Air” for SERA. Then click “Show Regulations” for that section.

You’ll see links to the regulation, including any change regulations. If there are consolidated or “easy access” versions, you’ll find links to them, too. Finally the coloured boxes link to the AMC/GM.

Regulations and (usually) consolidated versions are available in all EU languages. You get to choose which language version you want. Easy Access versions and AMC/GM are only available in English.

Some of the regulations are very large (1000+ pages) because they include rules for both private and commercial operations, both aircraft, helicopters, gliders, ballons and (yes!) airships in the same document. The table of contents in the Easy Access versions come in handy!

The readability of the rules vary. Generally more recent rules seem to be more readable then older ones. Part-M is absolutely horrible, part-FCL less so while SERA and part-NCO are actually quite ok.

Sign in to add your message