Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Where to find EASA (or UK post-brexit) regs?

A brilliant post – thank you

We should organise a “find the EASA reg” workshop!

The prize would be a £2 all day breakfast and a circular slide rule.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

.Airborne_Again wrote:

A quick guide on how to find EASA regulations.

Over the years I have given some guidance to people in how to find EASA regs, but now I think I am going to steal yours :-)

We could discuss readability, though… Part-FCL “is not well drafted” to quote Julian Scarfe, one of the people behind it (e.g. some of the LAPL-rules do not make a lot of sense) … and is Part-NCO really ok? have you tried to make sense of IFR minima rules? (this is in another thread AFAIR)

Thanks for a simple and useful guide.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

It would be great to produce a fairly comprehensive guide to finding answers to common questions, and then we can put it under Resources

Administrator

Airbourne Again

Thank you very much for that! It’s much appreciated! I’ve been struggling to keep up with where leglisation is ever since EASA took over, so this is very useful.

Thank you!
Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

You just punch “EASA regulations” into your favourite search engine and it jumps out at you. The difficult part is making heads and tails of the stuff.

PS: Airborne_Again did a good job on the basics. Thinking back, a dictionary would have been helpful. Aircrew is fairly self-explanatory, but I had no idea what ARA, ORA or CC meant and what I can expect inside. Fortunately “consolidated version” seemed appealing as the list of regulations seemed intimidating. The frustrating part was that it appeared one had to read (or skim) the whole thing to get a grip on the layout, where is what. I still find references like “subpart G” annoying.

Last Edited by Martin at 18 Nov 22:51

Yes – like googling for Colmar AIP and finding a PDF from 2014 You have to know that the right place is sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Yes – like googling for Colmar AIP and finding a PDF from 2014 You have to know that the right place is sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr

Why would I search for “Colmar AIP”? Colmar is an airport, not a country, it will hardly have it’s own AIP. And if you’re doing something like this, you indeed better know which domain you want to see in the results and better limit results to it in the first place. It would also be better to use LFGA instead of Colmar in my opinion.

I don’t know about you, but I get EASA’s official website straight off the bat (europa.eu is a giveaway). And that website has linked to EUR-Lex even years ago, even more trustworthy source (in the sense that I can find up to date information there).

PS: Just a tip: If you want an older consolidated version, EUR-Lex has them (EASA links only one, should be the latest).

Last Edited by Martin at 18 Nov 23:46

Why would I search for “Colmar AIP”? Colmar is an airport, not a country, it will hardly have it’s own AIP.

What he means is the “AIP entry for Colmar”, i.e. part “AD” in proper words.

If I weren’t sure how to find that, I would google “AIP France” and then go looking from there. Or use the EAD database.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

What he means is the “AIP entry for Colmar”, i.e. part “AD” in proper words.

I know what he meant but that’s not how I go about finding such information. I wouldn’t hope a search engine can understand such a query sufficiently to locate what I want. As I wrote, at the very least I would change it to AIP LFGA. But I think it’s best to go into the AIP, I think it’s easy to find aerodrome information in them. It’s a matter of efficiency. I would bet doing a few clicks in an AIP is faster than combing through results. You’ll need more than just aerodrome information anyway. And if I didn’t know where the French AIP is, I would search for AIP France just like you which would turn up, among other things (like the French AIP), websites of ICAO and Eurocontrol with lists of online AIPs, right among the top results.

Last Edited by Martin at 19 Nov 14:02

Of course I would search for Colmar LFGA AIP

But that’s digressing.

EASA should have spent 0.1% of their rulemaking budget on making the stuff accessible in a well defined way.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message