Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Fly-In Vote Result (2013)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

OK La Rochelle - when?

Norman
United Kingdom

May, I think.

I suggest we fix two dates, say 1 week apart. Cancel if not VFR-flyable, which is normally obvious from the MSLP charts a few days ahead.

How about the weekends of 18/19 and 25/26 May? The 27th (Monday) is a UK national holiday.

I really like the La Rochelle choice. It's a really lovely city so it should appeal to non-flying partners.

The runway is a bit small, but with GPS most can locate it

The city is very pretty however

Administrator

with GPS most can locate it

May I take this for the dry kind of humour the Brits are so famous for? };-)

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Dates OK.

Norman
United Kingdom

I am actually Czech, but yes I occassionally enjoy leaving out the smileys

It won't fool anybody here, but I once posted in another place that I fly 30% over MTOW (or some such) because it gives a useful increase in Va, and it did generate some questions. They threw me out of there not long after that.

Administrator

I would not mind doing La Rochelle again. The last time I did this trip I stupidly did not book accomodation in advance and for the first time in years "winging" it did not help.

I will see if Shrek is available and put the dates in the diary if she is. :-) If she is not then I will see what other chariot I can scrounge. Traumahawk perhaps. lol

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

Well it's a bit far for me - even in a straight line it would be close on 5 hours, but a straight line would take me right over Paris which seems little practical*. With 4 hours maximal endurance I'd need to do it in at least two legs, but three seems more comfortable. Think I can only take the risk if the forecasts are absolutely perfect. The city looks lovely enough, actually it has been on my wish list for a good while.

As for the dates, I don't really care. There can always come up a job for the weekend, even at short notice. If none does, I can always take a day off. Not a week, though.

*how's that for an understatement?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Great, lets firm up dates ASAP. The May ones suggested above would suit me fine.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Hello all,

Well, I certainly hope to meet up with you in La R. as it's virtually on my doorstep. In fact, I might even trundle up in ye olde Jodel :)

Just a thought, but you might like to consider hopping over to the Ile de Ré while you're there - you can see the bridge onto the island in the photo of the r/way above. To my mind, it's even more picturesque than La Rochelle, but each to their own, of course.

Tourist Office website here

Lunch at La Baleine Bleue in St Martin, for example? Followed by a gentle digestive cycle ride along the coast from St. Martin to La Couarde? (Cycles for hire on the island).

Taxi onto the island from the airport costs about €45 each way.

Oh, and if anyone wants to extend down south to Libourne - vineyards of St Emilion, Bordeaux, etc - before or after the fly-in, I'd be very happy to help with logistics, transport....

(PS We have holiday accommodation on the island, but it's likely to be booked at the end of May, so I'll prolly be as homeless as the rest of you...boohoo...)

Bordeaux
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message