Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Fly-In Vote Result (2013)

It was a vote. La Rochelle won. I didn't vote for it but that is life. No point complaining.

Had the mods just chosen, lots of La Rochelle fans would have complained no doubt.

That said, come along. It is not really any worse getting there from Germany than the UK.

I will come if it is the first weekend. Can't do the second. Don't we all fly so we can go places!!

I would happily take a passenger or two from Oxford if they don't want to fly themselves.

EGTK Oxford

I hope to make it from Scotland! Hopefully in my own plane by then....but if not in a rental...would be great to meet some (or all) of you....

Anthony

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Wow, thank you. Should you decide to go, please contact me. My email is at the bottom of this page.

What a great website! It must have taken you a long time to make it, and a lot of work in maintaining it! Well done!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Shame, will have to pull myself out of this one. As a full renter also, that would bash the bank balance a little too much to get there and back from Schwabisch Hall.

I am going to try to find another club member to join and cost share, but would be willing to pitch in a bit towards a lift :D ... hint hint, if anyone is passing by.

EDHS, Germany

Surely we can have both longer overnight trips and a occasional lunch meet as JasonC suggested.

We went to La Rochelle in March 2012, very nice place. Route from UK was SAM, KATHY, LFRC, KOKOS, REN, NTS, LFBH, from KOKOS on the V20 airway, from REN R14, and from NTS A25 all VFR above FL65. Stopped at Cherbourg just to clear customs, although could have gone direct to LFBH with 4 hours notice. In the last couple of years we have done a lot of the west coast airfields, Granville, Quimper, Quiberon, Vanne, La Baule and we feel La Rochelle is the best.

LFBH was very GA friendly, with the usual caveat that everything stops when a Sqeasyjet arrives. GA park on the grass, marked on the AIM as ‘G’ very near the pumps. I found the grass rock hard and nobbly, so much so, as I was parked near the entrance, rather than use the exit on the top corner, requested to exit via the entrance, the response was felt as a ‘crazy British’ and a shrug of shoulders. For all I know the entrance could have been the worst bit.

The security is typical for this type of airfield. There is a pilots gate with a security code posted on the nearby portacabin. Take your pilots licence because when they change the code you have to go to security in the main terminal and be checked through, bags and all as a scheduled passenger, with you pilots licence acting as a pass for you and your PAX. All works very well and no big hassle. On leaving pay your landing and fuel fees at the fuel cabin right next to the parking area.

A Bus #7 goes every 30 mins from outside the terminal to the bus terminal in town, which is then less than 5 minute to the cobbled streets. We also took a bus from the bus station to La Flotte, on Ile de Re – the bus then continues around the island.

Bike hire at tourist office in port area for about 1 euro for an hour. The marina which is just to the south (walkable) over a short bridge had several good restaurants. We stayed in the Novotel in the Park about 10 minute walk from centre town and about 5 minutes from bus station. Not suggesting this hotel but find the Accor group hotels are good for aviation, 4pm on the day cancellation and WiFi.

Norman
United Kingdom

Do we have a programm for the fly in? Or only dinner and plane sight seeing?

EDAZ

Peter,

I am VFR only at this stage, 6 hous is both ways, Zürich to LaRochelle and back, apprx 3hrs each.

I am neither complaining nor pulling out at this stage, but I do appreciate the concerns of the renters and our friends from Germany, some of whom I would have liked to meet.

Best regards urs

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The timing is really funny for me I'll be arriving in Munich on May 17th... and if it wasn't for other constraints I'd be very interested in cost sharing for a flight from anywhere nearby. Only a couple of problems: my aged parents will be in tow, and there's a local event I need to attend on the 25th... my wedding reception.

Next time I hope :-)

Silvaire said:

Only a couple of problems: my aged parents will be in tow, and there's a local event I need to attend on the 25th... my wedding reception.

Congratulations and all the best to you and the bride !

YSCB

So flight planned this for me, will have to pull out unless someone passing could offer a spare seat. I can offer slick R/T to help with zone crossings etc :D

For me the fastest thing I can access is a C172P. The first plan shows just under 4.5 hours for me and as a full renter thats a lot because that will work out at 10 hours for the 2 days. The issue with looking for other club members is that once we hit 3 adults that gets tight on fuel for W&B.

EDHS, Germany
Sign in to add your message