Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

N-reg requires an *FAA* IR for any IMC, worldwide?

Could you post the URL to the above, Jason? In case there is some more there. I tried googling for the exact phrase(s) and found the text in several places, one of which is here

I don’t think anybody would disagree with what it says. But it merely says the USA won’t give you an FAA IR on the basis of the IMCR. It doesn’t say the IMCR is no good for flying an N-reg in IMC.

IMHO, if the FAA Chief Counsel’s office (who, unlike EASA’s law drafters, seem to know exactly what they are saying) wanted to say that, they would have done.

Also, the FAA guy who responded to my query (in the link I posted earlier) said it’s OK. He could be misinformed of course but in the absence of an FAA CC ruling this stuff is all we have.

Back to the topic, can one see why an N-reg would require an FAA IR for any IMC anywhere?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Back to the topic, can one see why an N-reg would require an FAA IR for any IMC anywhere?

If you are in possession of an appropriate foreign licence and a qualification that permits flight in IMC on the basis of that licence, no.

EGTT, The London FIR

Peter that is where I found it.

EGTK Oxford

So, well all pretty much agree the Hughston statement is wrong, or at least “somewhat” wrong.

Maybe there is something, somewhere, in FAA materials suggesting what Hughtson writes is true, but even then, it would be blatantly in contradiction with FAR 61.3.

So, the explanation might be that there is some personal interest playing a role here. Obviously, people flying N-regs without FAA licenses are against his interests, since his job is to issue those FAA licenses to them…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

(a) The IMC privilege is not as high a level
of qualification as the instrument rating and confers no
privileges for flights requiring compliance with IFR.

But it does, in all but A, B and C airspace!

Well spotted, Tumbleweed

Somebody should have realised that “IMC” might imply “IFR”.

Administrator

The new name of the IMC rating is IR(R) so I guess it makes it an instrument rating . And there is no way the FAA can presume of the privileges conferred by foreign instrument ratings.

According to FAR 61.3 one can exercise the privileges of a UK license within the UK on a US aircraft and that includes the privileges of the IR(R).

LFPT, LFPN

And there is no way the FAA can presume of the privileges conferred by foreign instrument ratings.

Well, when it comes to flying N-reg aircraft they can do whatever they like.

EGTK Oxford

Is there any update to this since the last post? I’m about to start flying an N reg in the UK with an IRR – seems to be as clear as mud at times?

I am sure this is nonsense i.e. the IMCR is valid in an N-reg.

The UK CAA have never limited the IMCR by aircraft reg, and the FAA have never said the IMCR is inadequate for the purposes of 61.3 (above).

The website mentioned at the top was stripped right down, a long time ago. He now has another one – not sure where and we are not promoting it anyway due to lots of litigation threats against countless individuals in years past. One day the guy joined up PPL/IR (when I was there, over 10 years ago), read some past posts, and made everyone there realise there is no such thing as a “private forum” when anybody can join for £whatever and read past posts.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message