Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hunter crash at Shoreham

Sober report with an honest appraisal of the UK regulatory regime when compared to the US and Canada.

Being able to renew a fast jet DA in a piston was surprising, presumably that will change?

This video of the late Mark Hanna shows the vertical penetration of a Hunter display (typically 5,000’ in a loop), whether a Hunter display was comfortable OCAS in Shoreham might be discussed in the next instalment?

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 10 Mar 20:36
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

This latest Bulletin, with no less than 14 safety recommendations (repeating one which Dave Evans seems to have quietly swept under the carpet following the 2007 Shoreham crash) won’t be easy reading for some of that coterie of stunt pilots whose complacent mutual back-scratching as airshow inspectors and examiners has maintained UK airshow accident rates at almost double those of the USA and Canada.

On the other side of the fence, there’s plenty in this Bulletin for the Shoreham victims’ lawyers to digest, and probably plenty more to come.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Are the Hunters still grounded although it’s now reasonably certain the crash was caused by human error? I’ve not heard anything about them being allowed to return to flight…

Andreas IOM
Peter
22-Dec-15 12:16

I don’t want to drive this too far off topic, but there are numerous versions of that story, one of them being that BA would not have let Branson have Concorde no matter what. (And whether his proposition was real or just yet another publicity seeking stunt is another matter ).

Whoever flies Concorde flies the national flag and BA would have ended up ranking no higher than a long+short haul version of Easyjet

BA did not have problems filling Concorde at GBP 3500 one-way. They did lose a big chunk of regulars in 9/11 but the banking business carries on spending and they would have rebuilt the business.

There were maintenance issues too, but nothing that can’t be solved with a suitable ticket price

Speaking of the Hunter etc, in the RAF days the DOC of these jets was of the order of GBP 30k per hour. I don’t suppose any private owner is going to pay that.
Tb20 9

Just tripped over this.
I suspect that your figures might be a bit out. I remember that at one time the cost of running a Harrier was reckoned to be about the same as the cost of an R22, at that time about £75,000. Prest, in his book F4 Phantom a pilots story, reckoned on about £5,000 for a Phantom. Mike Carlton said about 1k an hour for G-HUNT and most of that was fuel.
So jet fuel, early 80s maybe 50p a gallon? Say £3 a gallon now? It would make the claim of £5,000 sound like it’s in the ballpark.

here

I wonder how different would a Hunter be to a Tornado, while in RAF active service? Maybe 3x? Were they ever contemporaneous in service?

Also there are as many figures out there as you want to spend time googling… And the Hunter in service goes so far back in time.

How old is the 1k per hour for the Hunter estimate? It would IMHO be extremely obviously completely unrealistic today unless The Plan is what many GA syndicates do i.e. run it without any “funds” until it falls apart Reading one of the accident reports from Thunder City in South Africa, that is what that lot was doing down there…

Maybe £5k/hr is about right today for the Hunter, which probably equates well to 30k/hr in RAF service (google for the cost of a military-spec screwdriver, etc etc etc…). I bought a crimp tool on Ebay, new price about £600, which I am sure cost the RAF at least £6k.

Administrator

The £1k and hour must be over 30 years ago. It was after I first learned to fly in ’79 and before I came to England in ’86. Carlton was the first guy to operate one on the civil register in the UK. He did seem to have ut together a pretty professional organistion to do it.

Email today:

Administrator

IO390 wrote:

Full report released today…

452 pages! This is more than the report an AF447 or any other high-casualty airliner accident of the last decade. All to say that he flew his display too low, too slow, outside the assigned zone and without any recent practice. Sometimes 30 seconds of a video shown on the same day already tell the whole story.

EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message