Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hunter crash at Shoreham

Eastbourne, sorry The Big One which gets you a £5000 fine for busting it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I see that the prosecutor suggested at 12:25 in this trial report that not only did the Display Director not know the sequence of manouvres in advance (not least because the UK CAA did not implement a previous AAIB recommendation to that effect), but (at 12:51) the Director was not even watching the display – “for reasons he will explain later in the trial”…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Don’t you just love the BBC….

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

BeechBaby wrote:

Don’t you just love the BBC….

No shit, Sherlock….

EGKB Biggin Hill

This was a truly dreadful accident. But in my view that is the crux. An accident, not wilful, not malicious in intent, not wanton, but a dreadful accident where 11 people lost their lives. The pilot, the families, the injured will have suffered hugely, however, I am satisfied that the jury came up with the correct decision here.

We live in a blame society, driven by people who always need to find an answer to everything that goes wrong, but there are times in life where it can all just go wrong, generally at the wrong time. This was one of them.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

What I have read is this:

To prove involuntary manslaughter you have to prove one of:

• he carried out an unlawful or dangerous act; the airshow was legal therefore what he was doing was aiming to be within the law
  • gross negligence; he intentionally did something which by his experience he should have known not to do, and there was no suggestion that he decided to do something which caused this

So, for the alleged offence, he was found not guilty. Perhaps he would have been convicted of something lesser… who knows?

And reportedly he succesfully claimed mental impairment due to the G forces.

The verdict has certainly surprised many.

An accident, not wilful

AIUI, and IANAL, but manslaughter can be the result of an accident. A deliberate action would be murder.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

BeechBaby wrote:

We live in a blame society, driven by people who always need to find an answer to everything that goes wrong, but there are times in life where it can all just go wrong, generally at the wrong time. This was one of them.

Very true words BeechBaby.

we have to be very careful where this is leading… quite a few accident investigation branches today have massive problems with the fact that state prosecutors misuse their work to pull people to court who have done nothing warranting a verdict by trial… the spirit of Annex 13 is spat on (to avoid a more explicit expression) and abused in many cases.

IMHO only in cases of gross negligence or intention should be brought to court. In most cases people involved in an accident are punished by the very accident more than sufficiently.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

AIUI, and IANAL, but manslaughter can be the result of an accident. A deliberate action would be murder.

Murder requires malice aforethought – the pre-meditated intention to either kill or cause serious harm. It is not the act itself that has to be deliberate.

Last Edited by Graham at 08 Mar 14:53
EGLM & EGTN

Peter wrote:

AIUI, and IANAL, but manslaughter can be the result of an accident.

Sure, but there still has to be negligence. Accidents do happen even if no one is negligent.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message