Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hunter crash at Shoreham

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I was unfortunately at the airshow, a huge fireball and now reports of multiple cars hit on a27 main dual carriageway. Rip x

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Several casualties now reported.

That’s the way it is though. Risky business.

If I look back a bit, it seems that most airshow accidents in recent years have been of this type, i.e. the aircraft doing a loop-type maneuver, something goes wrong, a high-speed stall and the aircraft pancakes into the ground. (the video is on youtube).

These pilots obviously factor in a safety buffer of a few thousand feet altitude, but the hard truth is, with these aircraft abd their very high speeds and huge loop radii, 3000 feet or even 5000 feet will be eaten up in a couple of seconds if something goes wrong.

The alternative would be to do these displays at a minimum altitude of 10000 + feet. In that case, the crowd would merely see a small dot moving around high up in the sky.

I’m afraid there is not much to be learned here.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Aug 15:59
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Looking horrendous. This is from twitter, the photo is of the main A27 dual carriageway. The traffic was totally stacked up on the road the morning dosent bear thinking about how many casualties there will be. We left about an hour after abandoned the car and got a bus. Thoughts with all those poor people.

Alex

Photo from A27 from twitter

Alex

So far 7 dead confirmed and 14 injured.

From the picture it appears like the canopy is open. There are reports that the pilot was pulled from the wreck and is in hospital.

From what the media report, the pilot is a very highly experienced ex RAF and current Airline pilot with plenty of experience on the type. Will have to wait and see what comes out of this.

I think there will be massive consequences to this one for the airshow circuit.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

So far 7 dead confirmed and 14 injured.

And none of them an airshow visitor who may have known that there is a risk involved. Already the second such accident this month in the UK. My guess is that this will be the end of aerobatic displays of (vintage) jet fighters in the UK. Just like in Germany after Ramstein.

EDDS - Stuttgart

My guess is that this will be the end of aerobatic displays of (vintage) jet fighters in the UK. Just like in Germany after Ramstein.

I don’t think so. UK is very different to Germany

United Kingdom

Ramstein was not an accident with a privately operated vintage jet but a professional military formation. The accident simply was the reason some people had been waiting for to impose a ban on airshows featuring aerobatic teams. In other countries, the lessons learnt from Ramstein were to modify the display patterns and to put up new and more restrictive rules about these displays. Since Ramstein, there has not been a single accident involving spectators or outsiders.

Today’s accident may well bring those who wish to also end display flying in the UK out of the woodworks. Yet, the UK (as well as the US) has a different tradition and a more distanced view to this. They have a very active scene with this kind of jets, which normally operate safely and without incidents for years. That there were two incidents, both involving very highly qualified pilots and immaculately kept airplanes, is unfortunate but hopefully not the end of the display circuit. Both pilots involved were highly experienced ex RAF pilots, the one today apparently also is an active airline pilot. They were not risk takers or people who recklessly endanger lifes of others. They were (or are) professionals who will do their best and possibly sacrifice their lives in order to save others.

No flight can ever be without risk. No airshow, no fly in can ever be without risk. Today, a lot of people seem to believe that ANY sort of risk is unacceptable. However, this “vision zero” attempt leads into total paralysis. I sincerely hope that this won’t be the case here.

I think the price is too high, and I understand if there’s very little acceptance in the general public for unnecessary tragedies like that. Either an airshow must be planned in a way that all trajectories lead are far enough from spectators, roads, houses etc … or the risk is unaccaptable.

Today, a lot of people seem to believe that ANY sort of risk is unacceptable.

I am one of those strange people who think that there should be no risk of an aircraft doing stunts crashing on me while i drive on a highway …

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 22 Aug 19:32
375 Posts
Sign in to add your message