Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How would you define a "GA friendly" airport?

Popham, Glenforsa, Palm Springs.

Bucket list: Catalina Island.

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.

King Island Airport, Australia - YKII My first water crossing, in an old Mooney!

EGTK Oxford

Cannes Mandelieu LFMD great

Olbia LIEO big but efficient

Dubrovnik LDDU a bit distant but the town is worth a visit

My favourite is Sansepolcro, 800m lighted grass strip in central Italy. Land, park and walk across the the runway to the country house for lunch.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

Difficult one... seeing it with the eyes of a business aviator (we like hard runways with 1500+metres, some kind of instrument approach, good facilities for passengers and (waiting) crews, interesting things to see and do during longer stays, good hotels not too far away,...) probably Le Bourget. And RAF Northolt for London trips, alternatively Cambridge. And Marina di Campo and Samedan for corporate flights with less strict rules. Regional airports in France in general are all very good. I almost forgot Albenga, that's also high on the list.

The most GA friendly of the large airports is Schiphol. I have flown there VFR on several occasions, no big deal. Even the visual reporting points can be identified by non-residents without much difficulty and ATC is doing a bombastic job coordinating simultaneous IFR arrivals on two runways, simultaneous departures on two different runways while there are training aircraft in the pattern (really!) using a fifth runway. Must be seen to believe.

On my wish list of airfields to visit privately some day (I have seen them all from the ground already) are Venezia Lido, Isles of Scilly, Sligo, Oban and Broadford/Isle of Skye.

EDDS - Stuttgart

What Next, I find the Scilly Isles is best for a necessary and short visit. It is a nice place in the summer when they are geared up for visitors but at other times may be short on places that are open. Last time I went last stop was Perranporth and cloud base was about 800ft. That was fine but the beacon on Scilly was down and finding a small island in the ocean under a low grey sky was interesting. Sligo is delightful and so laid back. Very interesting landing if there is a moderate westerly wind blowing! I believe EU funds paid for the runway so go use. Happy landings!

UK, United Kingdom

Samedan for corporate flights with less strict rules

What is the procedure for Samedan?

I have flown over it, and it seems like one needs to be visual with the runway all the way from the top of descent from FL130 plus.

Obviously a lot of people aren't so there have been accidents.

It's a spectacular place.

What is the latest on the Venice Lido / San Nicolo? I planned to go there years ago and was unable to establish whether they had avgas, and it was sure they did not have Customs although one then very prominent UK "internet personality" claimed one can easily arrange Customs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

King Island Airport, Australia - YKII My first water crossing, in an old Mooney!

Fantastic Brie from King Island....goes well with Port from Rutherglen!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Fantastic Brie from King Island

I prefer the Aged Cheddar! And fresh lobster caught off the boat.

EGTK Oxford

The most GA friendly of the large airports is Schiphol. I have flown there VFR on several occasions, no big deal.

I like Amsterdam, enjoyed it. I wonder about L2K, I should go there one day.

United Kingdom

What is the procedure for Samedan?

It's the most exquisite place in Switzerland and a lot of oligarchs used to force their poor pilots to do suicide approaches so they can go fur shopping for their concubines. Regular deadly accidents which is why it is now under tight control, you can no longer freely go there, you need to be current for Samedan. Here's the test. The valley is too small for an instrument approach and also too small for making a U turn in some jets.

I was did a training flight there, some years ago and it was 150 CHF reduced landing fee for training...

Sign in to add your message