Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How would you define a "GA friendly" airport?

when I’ve received a cursory glance if anything at all

That’s a feeling I know well enough, I don’t think it has much to do with one’s sex. Whenever I see a non-based plane landing and parking at my homefield, I make it a point to walk towards them and say a word of welcome. But I don’t know anyone else at my field who does, rather I think some of my fellows think this an(other) odd habit of mine.

If you saw some other pilots getting more of a welcome, they may well have been old acquaintances. Remember the other thread where it was stated many pilots have their usual destinations.

The lack of welcome seems to be less outspoken among microlighters, in my limited observation. Perhaps low-budget flyers are more sociable, because they need to?

I certainly don’t find offense or complain about men making NICE comments

It has been my difficulty to find comments that will not offend any woman – I have found them to have widely different appreciations. ;)

Last Edited by at 06 Sep 11:12
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Airborne_Again wrote:

Suffice to say that during the two years or so I’ve been on EuroGA, it has happened often enough to be noticeable.

I agree. At no other place have I seen any such remarks go on without being deleted. (Vansairforce and Sonexbuilders mainly).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

. At no other place have I seen any such remarks go on without being deleted. (Vansairforce and Sonexbuilders mainly).

I do manage to read just about every post (78336 to date) and don’t recall any significant sexist stuff.

I recall massive explosions on other sites where this goes on all the time, right up to bikini pics getting posted.

Jude – if other pilots ignore you it is most likely not because they don’t like you being a woman. Much more likely they don’t know you, or don’t know how to relate to a woman, or are married etc and don’t want it to get back home that they were seen with a woman. Many spouses are incredibly insecure… it would be the same if a man walked into a place full of women; virtually all would ignore him due to the last reason.

Next time, Jude, come to one of the fly-ins we have here. They are miles away from the scene you describe and you would have a great time

Finally, if someone is not happy with a post here, they can press the Report button. Thus far on this thread this has been done by 1 person. And my take on the original comment was that it was tongue in cheek.

If a woman pilot posted that she would like to have Daniel Craig at every airport desk, what reaction would that produce? And should I delete such a post??

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

achimha wrote:

Should we start a photo thread with the hottest handling babes? Peter could then produce the 2016 EuroGA calendar. I have pictures to contribute as well.

+ 1

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Peter I’d love to come along to one of the fly-ins.

Will have more me time from next month as my daughter goes off to drama school, but still not yet bitten the bullet and bought something yet so if anyone out there would be happy to have a female P2/co-pilot/navigator/£ contributor for one of the fly-ins.

And for any of the female spouses out there, guys married or in a relationship are a no go.

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

Not all men have these problems.

I can go flying with any of my former girlfriends (my wife knows three of them and likes them all) – and of course i could (and would) invite any female pilot i like to a cup of coffee.

There’s just not enough of them! Very rarely do i see a female GA pilot.

My wife was one, for a while, but once she had proved she can fly my plane solo, she quit again. She prefers bicycles and other quiet things. And she’s very practical: If i find somebody else for a flight on a Saturday – she doesn’t have to go :-)

And for any of the female spouses out there, guys married or in a relationship are a no go

That makes little difference to most spouses. What matters is how good looking the prospective passenger is IMHO of course Anyway, we had a thread on the “reduction in passenger options” recently

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Damyns Hall EGML. 2 grass runways, uncontrolled, no landing charges, cheap avgas and 20 mins from central London on the tube/train.

London Area

Most men ignore women in unfamiliar environments because they are scared of them. Personally I’m an incurable flirt and were I to see a female aviator walk into a room I would make a point of talking to her.

Forever learning
EGTB

boscomantico wrote:

By the way, I always find it amusing when people use the term “GA-friendly”, when speaking about “GA-only airports”.

I agree. A GA (only) airport is always GA friendly, it’s more a matter of what auxiliary cervices it provides and how “good” these cervices are.

In that respect it’s hard to find a more GA friendly airport than ENVA. Open 24/7 365 days a year. ATC are very customed to GA and very friendly, 2 min walk to hotel. 1 min walk to train station etc. But I would rather have my plane at a nice little grass strip, even if it means no hotels or trains or restaurants of any kind.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message