Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How would you define a "GA friendly" airport?

Callum wrote:

cheap avgas and 20 mins from central London on the tube/train.

Well I know how I’m getting to London next time it’s a nice day and I want to go there :-)

Andreas IOM

Ive been away so I did not respond to what I consider a real dumb “oh my God how can he even think such a thing!” comment.

First off it was in jest. You have your shorts on too tight if you didnt get that.

Second I saw a 100 foot yacht pull into a Marina and the crew ALL female ALL young All in shape and All pretty, tie up the yacht. Now get this they all wore uniforms which consisted of, white rubber boots, white hot pants, white front tied halter tops and red lipstick. Forgive me if I didnt notice their nails. So Airborne what would you do if you were confronted with such a spectacle? Complain to the harbor master? Tell the boats owner that you would prefer them to wear a sexy Burka? If ever there was a sexist experience that was it. Did I look upon it as that? No! The owner was making a statement, look what I have. Eat your hearts out. If thats what he wants to do more power to him.

So while my comment was in jest it was based on a real experience.

I hate all this over the top political correctness that is occurring. Its nothing more than other people forcing their values upon you. Once thats done they will tell you what you can and cant do. Think any totalitarian regime or state. For that matter, think Saudi Arabia and most of the Muslim countries as an extreme example of sexim.

I look upon Aviation as a fraternity with people of like minds and interests. It is not uncommon for me to say hello and start up a conversation with another pilot be they male or female. My Mission Kommander sometimes asks, how can you just talk to someone if you dont know them? I guess its a cultural thing.

For all those in the political correctness camp, please add in “and sorority” after fraternity in the above paragraph.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

For all those in the political correctness camp, please add in “and sorority” after fraternity in the above paragraph.

Please – political correctness? It’s that occasionally (not often, but enough to notice) it seems this place is more like this sketch :-)

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It’s a long time since I saw that sketch but it is a standing joke between my wife and I! It was good to see it again!

Forever learning
EGTB

Sommercity Palanga Lithuenia on Baltic cost has whole line of lady emploies for GA pilots. Go and experience.!!

Matti
EFHV

LeSving That was priceless. The Mission Kommander is flying in from Munich (actually her flight was cancelled and then rerouted through Frankfurt. Caulk one up for GA) and at a severe risk to my body and soul I will share that skit with her. After…she has had some wine.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

So Airborne what would you do if you were confronted with such a spectacle?

Roll my eyes, most probably.

So while my comment was in jest it was based on a real experience.

I didn’t target you with my comment. Indeed, I pointed out a few postings later that I was referring to a many posts by different people during the years I’ve been on EuroGA.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Roll my eyes, most probably.

Personally, I would just laugh and so would Justine

But what about if the yacht was staffed by a dozen Daniel Craigs wearing tight swimming trunks? Actually many of them are, to varying degrees. A lady onlooker would not find any problem with that, and she could even positively comment to her male partner who would probably find it hilarious but even if he didn’t he wouldn’t be able to say anything about it.

Such is life… and spare a thought for these poor yacht crews who have to maintain their “currency” somehow for when they hit the bars at the end of their shift

As I said before, it’s a good idea to use smileys to avoid this sort of issue

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thinking about what constitutes a “good” GA airfield, I have these thoughts about the GA scene.
What I want

I want an airfield that has fuel.
I prefer a hard runway.
I want customs if needed.
I would like some basic instrument approach if needed.
I want a good level of food available.

What I don’t want

No airfield where commercial traffic is the main revenue source,
Because of the need to have all the security apparatus, these airfields can justify the heavy charges for GA using their facilities.
When I think of airfields such as Luton (EGGW) which I have used in the past, and which now insist on mandatory handling, the costs are prohibitive. The same happened at Southend (EGMC) once Easyjet started operating there.
Instrument rated pilots pay a premium because they need to use airfields with the instrument landing facilities.
In short, it is difficult to find airfields that fit all the criteria. I would point out Turweston (EGBT) as a rare UK example https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/9535-turweston-egbt.
In France I can quote LeTouquet compared to Beauvais. Beauvais has all the security apparatus because of the commercial activity, whereas LeTouquet is GA.
I am in principle in agreement about the suggestion that EuroGA get a campaign going to challenge high handling fees but I am not sanguine about the outcome.
Everybody knows that GA pilots are rich playboys and should be punished for rising above everybody else!

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

Gamston also fits

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
Sign in to add your message