Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How would you define a "GA friendly" airport?

Threads on the same topic merged.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you want to clear customs somewhere inexpensive, take a look at Chateauroux LFLX. No charges for <2T

Other than that I believe there is already a very long thread about what constitutes the ideal GA airport on EuroGA

LFPT, LFPN

Le Touquet is a bit out of the way, as a customs stop, for many UK pilots, unless one is going to the south/east, but France is packed with military areas there which put off the VFR pilots. Also there is a big community in the UK which boycotts any place charging more than £10 or €10 Le Touquet is about €30 which is usually insignificant against the avgas spend…

Administrator

gallois wrote:

Talking to some Brit pilots who come over regularly, they all seem to clear customs at different place

We use Deauville

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Talking to some Brit pilots who come over regularly, they all seem to clear customs at different place, they each say they prefer t
Angers, Le Mans, Cherbourg, Poitiers,La Rochelle, and Nantes. Personally I have only used Brest, Dinard and Cherbourg each time going to Jersey, Guernsey or Alderney and never had a problem, the people there have always been efficient and polite if occasionally a little laid back. I do though understand that some airfields charge more to foreign aircraft than F reg, and I am not talking about the club discounts. If true this is a disgrace. As far as I know most French pilots avoid Le Touquet if possible, the landing fees are too expensive.

France

Propman wrote:

Instrument rated pilots pay a premium because they need to use airfields with the instrument landing facilities.

I think you’re still legally allowed to make a visual approach, even if you have an IR

EGTR

Shoreham is pretty good – as are many other UK ones. Of course all UK airports have customs/immigration (via the GAR form).

Some French pilots say Le Touquet is the best GA airport in France and I would agree, although e.g. Cherbourg also offers zero hassle.

Administrator

No instrument approaches or night flying at the otherwise splendid Turweston.

I took an unannounced SRA into Southend a few weeks ago. The cost was small. See my trip report.

https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/9428-turweston-egbt-to-rotterdam-ehrd-and-back

Last Edited by Joe-fbs at 04 Jul 20:55
strip near EGGW

This:

I would point out Turweston (EGBT) as a rare UK example

doesn’t have this:

I would like some basic instrument approach if needed.

does it?

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 04 Jul 17:23
Forever learning
EGTB

Oxford fits, as does Gloucester. Both terrific GA focussed airfields with reasonable costs, good service if needed. and Oxford is even open at night.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom
90 Posts
Sign in to add your message