Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR-only certification, and moving these to IFR, certifying the RV, etc

Not every airframe of an IFR-certified type is actually IFR

This 2004 doc from Diamond shows

Does this mean that EASA-reg DA42s purchased between May and August 2004, and N-reg ones before November 2004, cannot be used IFR?

There may be a similar thing for the DA40.

If so, what is the process for “fixing” that?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As far as I know, there is normally a modification that is embodied to bring earlier models up to the new certified clearance / standard. The extent of the mod may just be removing / changing some placards and incorporating a supplement to the POH.

Now retired from forums best wishes

This is the fix for the similar DA-40 “problem”
Diamond SB40-020

Early aircraft have (all?) been back to factory a couple of times to make the latest improvements and additions.

Last Edited by Jesse at 03 Sep 19:33
JP-Avionics
EHMZ

From here

My one question with all these 2-seat designs is “OK, so you have a 25kg baggage area, but you can only fit 2x really small bags in there…”. I myself can survive a long weekend with an overnight bag, but for sure my GF/Partner cant – HUGE suitcase required – Weight isnt the issue, space is. As an aeroclub trainer or hour on a Saturday bimbler, then its fine, but IFR? Why if you cant realistically go anywhere in it?

Does anybody knows ALL the Rotax-powered certified planes with BRS (like the Elixir, but already in the market)? I only know the Virus 121 LSA and the PS-28 Cruiser (more than enough to give Elixir a hard time to gain market share IMHO). Still, Tecnam is winning a large share of the rotax-powered PPL training industry without BRS-equipped planes

IMHO the key difference is their certification and ability to become an IFR-platform (of course provided they manage to get it, but that is not a lotterie and requirements are known facts which they have to master). The other planes mentioned are “only” LSA or Microlight.

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

Had a look at the Rotax site. The iS is not yet certified according to CS-E, but it’s on it’s way, at least apparently. “available after receipt of type certificate” is what it say. There are hundreds of MCR’s around. Cool planes, fast and efficient.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

skydriller wrote:

“OK, so you have a 25kg baggage area, but you can only fit 2x really small bags in there…”. I myself can survive a long weekend with an overnight bag, but for sure my GF/Partner cant – HUGE suitcase required – Weight isnt the issue, space is

I have done some UK touring on a TMG (cost was 0.3£/nm which is lower than the car), yes the drawback you can’t have more than 15kg, no space, can’t leave it parked outside for long, long rides were not comfy and its rotax was very noisy (at 4600rpm A20 don’t work) and surely no marginal VFR, the worst glider to try IMC…

While personally I would still take it for free flight day to L2K (full fuel tanks ), my wife just hate it would take a rusty C150 any day

I think the only two seater that I feel goes far beyond that WnB is the Liberty XL, sad it does not have an AP or an STC for it

Piper Sport-Cruiser goes just slightly above that WnB (+BRS), so I am keeping my eyes on one of these !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I wonder if @mh is still out there. He was doing some work in this field, IIRC.

Administrator

IMHO the key difference is their certification and ability to become an IFR-platform

How hard would be for the certified Virus 121 LSA to become an IFR platform? I always thought that 90% of the effort is to get the basic certification and then to get the IFR certification (for instruction, not real IMC) is just a question of avionics. Is it the case?

United Kingdom
Administrator
109 Posts
Sign in to add your message