Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR-only certification, and moving these to IFR, certifying the RV, etc

why anyone would like a non certified plane behave like a certified plane.

In the US, no point indeed.

In Europe, to be able to fly anywhere without having to get the airspace permit.

And, potentially, in some scenarios, to open up the route to IFR. An RV for example, with an autopilot, is an acceptable IFR platform. Most IFR pilots fly a lot of VFR too; different tools for different jobs.

I don’t think anybody is suggesting certifying something which is a death trap, although I think a Lancair IV which doesn’t need permits and is legal for IFR would sell rather well despite having low speed handling issues which would make normal SEP certification impossible. I would have probably bought one by now, if that was possible.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Seriously. Let non certified be non certified. If you have no idea of to use it, or you “cannot”, or “will not” or dear not, or live in a medieval part of Europe or whatever is the problem, then there are certified alternatives around. If you are not satisfied with those alternatives, that is your problem alone.

Peter wrote:

I don’t think anybody is suggesting certifying something which is a death trap

You mean the Cirrus? There is a solution for that AFAIK.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@MikeWhiskey

I was thinking about all the “VFR-only” PA28 etc, assuming it may be sufficient to equip them with the required stuff according to Part NCO

AFAIK, there is no thing as a VFR-only PA28 (or C172/152, for that matter).
Even the rather rudimentary POHs of our 1960s airplanes mention flying conditions, stating explicitly something along the lines of “VFR day/night and IFR if equipped according to the regulations”.
If you have a sentence like that in your docs, do as it says, equip according the regulations (NCO, in this case) and fly IFR.

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

CharlieRomeo wrote:

If you have a sentence like that in your docs, do as it says, equip according the regulations (NCO, in this case) and fly IFR.

Wasn’t that exactly what MikeWhiskey wrote?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Clearly it is worth repeating

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

I should have read all of the thread… My fault… So please disregard my post and hand me some coffee

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

You won’t find mention of flight conditions in the certification paperwork or any derived information of a brand new 2020 Maule And therefore you can fly it IFR.

And the Citabria, Cessna 185 and… (there are a lot of them)

After writing my earlier post above, I checked the very, very long Mooney M20 TCDS and found that everything pre-201 is certified based on CAR-3 standards without mention of FAR Part 23. Oddly enough that includes the Porsche powered variant which I believe has something to do with the use of an earlier long fuselage to balance the heavy engine.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Dec 14:02

Silvaire wrote:

You won’t find mention of flight conditions in the certification paperwork or any derived information of a brand new 2020 Maule And therefore you can fly it IFR.

Having looked through CS-LSA, VLA and -23 the other days, I wonder how anyone can extract that special consideration is necessary for IFR. Lightning protection for instance is the same (and I mean identical, the exact same regulation) for CS-23 as for CS-VLA. No mention of any special consideration for IFR (or VFR for that matter). Not saying there isn’t any, but if there are, they are not in CS-23 (from what I can see).

On the other hand. CS-LSA starts with saying that the aircraft is for VFR day only, as one of the main basic points about the type of certification. But, there is another document from EASA saying that if you do so and so, you can certify it for VFR night nonetheless And this is not new, it’s as old as CS-LSA itself. Why do CS-LSA say it is for VFR day only, when clearly it is not? Why does it exist a separate obscure document about certifying a LSA for VFR night, and there is no mention of this in CS-LSA itself? Why isn’t this document merged into CS-LSA? How many other such obscure documents exists about licenses and certifications?

An aircraft manufacturer will know all this stuff of course, but not us GA pilots discussing it So I think we tend to paint the world much darker than it actually is.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Why does it exist a separate obscure document about certifying a LSA for VFR night, and there is no mention of this in CS-LSA itself?

Where did you get the CS-LSA in full?
I found only the EASA published document but it references VERY heavily ASTM documents etc (behind paywall).

EGTR
Sign in to add your message