Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Has the FAA done a deal with EASA to do ramp checks on N-regs?

I have been flying N-reg in France for 4 years now, and have never been ramp checked.

The only ramp check was at LFXU with a F-reg. The officer was very laid back and did not do a thorough check.

LFPT, LFPN

I have been ramp checked in France once many years ago. We had a very friendly chat, they checked the usual documents we exchanged hand shakes and that was that. I think the only reason for the check was that I landed at an airport that was closed – or should I say the Gendarmerie thought it was closed but fortunately I had called ahead and they were happy for me to land once they had moved the sheep. The only thing I recall that really surprised me was that they were pretty well informed.

I do recall much more recently Calais having a chopper woring the surrounding airspace and checking a number of aircraft but I never enjoyed their attention.

Strangely the ramp check was in a G reg – all the visits in an N reg and not one single check.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 17 Oct 17:25

15 years flying in all corners of France. Hundreds of landings. Zero ramp checks.

I avoid Biarritz though.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

So, the last three most recent posts and Bosco Man says kein problem flying to France, and pas de problème for the other two. Whaddya say to that Peter ?

The last ramp check I had there the chap was pleasant enough but he didn’t know much.

Have been ramp checked in Pontarlier some weeks ago with an experimental N-register. I was coming from CH and 3 customs officers were waiting for me in order to check all papers. I have less than 10 landings in France in total.
Their main concern was the VAT status of the plane and the EASA license.
They were cordial but from some of their statements, it was clear that they were considering flying an N-registered plane like a fraud. I had all required papers that they were looking for, so no further issue, except that I almost arrived too late at my final destination in Belgium (VFR day only).

Belgium

Interesting, but you don’t need an EASA licence if N reg is Operated from Switzerland. Complain to the FAA, that behaviour shouldn’t be allowed

21 years of flying in 20 european countries, … never a ramp check

lucky old you

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Nice nick @ploucandco. “Plouc” sounds very French indeed.

LFPT, LFPN

So, the last three most recent posts and Bosco Man says kein problem flying to France, and pas de problème for the other two. Whaddya say to that Peter ?

Clearly the chances of getting checked (and setting aside Biarritz where there is reportedly a training school for airport policemen) varies according to where you land and some other factors.

I have never been checked in France but then I fly there only maybe 10-20 times a year. Well, apart from day trips to LFAT but that almost never gets hit. BUT having said that they were there last time I was there (2 weeks ago) and clearly looking for a specific aircraft or person (bear in mind that for obvious practical reasons they can’t do much unless they catch the person in/next to the aircraft, so they might have been waiting for me, so I made sure I went nowhere near my plane just in case. And when I do go to France I go to fairly random places. And I don’t visit the same place regularly. Most of my flights there have been quick stops to collect somebody, etc. I have never been to a fly-in there. Before the French pulled Customs from about 50 airports, I used to go to sleepy places like St Yan where flying that €4M helicopter would not be very productive. Now I can’t go anywhere near Paris (except Lognes but that’s VFR only) and that probably rules out a lot of inspections. So even if the French were really hot on this, simple statistics could easily work in your favour. I reckon if we did a fly-in to somewhere with a cafe, say 10 aircraft including some N-regs, and fairly near “civilisation”, they would be there to raid the lot. But who knows? I am sure they are not stupid and have a system, but it may also be totally random (here in the UK, the police rig up speed traps mostly on sunny days, when it’s nice to be out). I am certain there are people reading this who know more (about 75 distinct French readers per day here) and it would be great to hear from anyone who knows.

Also remember that pilots who got trouble rarely talk about it. I get told a huge amount (personally and by email) which never gets out. This is a huge problem if doing any research in GA. For example, most pilots hope to sell their plane at some stage, and they don’t want the prospective buyer wondering whether there is some issue with that particular reg in France…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message