Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help from our German friends

I need the help of someone in Germany, so where better to turn than EuroGA with its wonderful German readership. Warning, this isn’t in the least bit aviation related.

I wanted to buy a German dictionary for the 18th birthday of the daughter of a close family friend. I had in mind an old one; think leather-bound, well thumbed, and one that was purely German, rather than English – German. Ideally it would be both antique and yet useable in her linguistic studies (she’s doing in a degree in comparative literature). In a large London bookshop I found what looked like a wonderful old tome, more than 100 years old, yet inexpensive and practical seeming. Only after I got it home did I realise that all of non German stuff that I saw when I glanced inside wasn’t in fact a pronunciation guide as I had assumed, but actual Greek words. I know how daft it sounds but it turns out it’s a German – Greek dictionary.

I’ve looked online on English-based websites like ebay UK, but not found anything suitable. So, if you live in Germany, the next time you’re passing by a shop selling antique books, could you pop in and see if they have a German dictionary that meets the above requirements? I’d happily pay up to say €50, plus shipping to the UK.

Thanks!

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

I have two or three antique bookstores nearby. I’ll drop by tomorrow and ask them, maybe they can recommend something.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Fantastic! Thank you.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Sorry, traveling abroad. But if I see something after my return to Munich, I’ll let you know.

David wrote:

Warning, this isn’t in the least bit aviation related.

I believe an administrator should remove this thread, as it is in violation of the forum rules:

David wrote:

As Bosco says, Hangar Talk is really for discussing matters related to aviation which don’t fit neatly in one of the other topics.

(quoted from: http://www.euroga.org/forums/website/5137-moving-or-deleting-unrelated-posts)

Sorry, sorry – couldn’t resist. I better run…

mh wrote:

I have two or three antique bookstores nearby. I’ll drop by tomorrow and ask them, maybe they can recommend something.

If Malte doesn’t find what you’re looking for, I can look as well. Maybe if @boscomantico could point me to the best antique book shop in Lübeck’s old town, that would be good euroga team work… I’ll be there until Thursday.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I am back on my Nokia Symbian phone so I can’t do anything, sorry…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have been in one of the stores I mentioned today. He has none of the possible dictionaries, but would have some books on idioms or poetry… And he did have a nice book on Hugo Junkers, that I have bought (I hope that isn’t a trend, would get expensive :-) ) The shop owner did mention the Kluge (the second link Achim mentioned).

The other store I had in mind was closed so I’ll drop by tomorrow. The third one turned into some sort of game shop (Warhammer store ro something like that… hope that isn’t a trend to close bookstores for plastic figure shops… )

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I am sorry for the delay, but first the shop owner was on holiday and then I had too much work during opening hours. He has just one complete (etymological) dictionary in two volumes for at least 140€. Other than that, he has no dictionaries or etymological dictionaries.

However, I passed a free public book shelf and found this. I can send it to you for shipping, if you are interested:

Granted, it’s literature and nothing for comparative language studies, but sure an important part of German culture and language.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

David, would your relation be interested in a dictionary of Dutch language, dated 1946? If so please PM, it is a bit of a peculiar story.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message