Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Discussion of language proficiency issues and licenses

This thread picks up from here

Bordeaux_Jim wrote:

While we will run an FCL055 test, along the same lines as that organised by the DGAC for English, we cannot issue an official qualification recognised by the French authorities, simply because such a qualification does not exist.

Bordeaux_Jim wrote:

2pm until 4 pm – FCL055 (EASA Language Proficiency Test) in French […] Some experience of speaking French is obviously useful, but not essential.

Maybe the reason is that given what you stated above, you would hand out that LP French to people who do not actually speak French? Level 4 doesn’t mean one can say “vent arrière” but that one speaks French reasonably well.

Studying French is always a good idea…

we cannot issue an official qualification recognised by the French authorities, simply because such a qualification does not exist.

Is there any formal i.e. official confirmation of this fact? By the DGAC? In whatever language?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I just realized I really need to do that course, because throughout my life I thought ‘vent arrière’ meant, well, ehmm, sorry: f*rt..
Thanks for enlightening me Achim.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

LOL!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That looks very interesting.

Forever learning
EGTB

the english test from DGAC is crap, I’m planning not to go see them again ever…

there is such an LPR as all french people have it on their license, it’s just that DGAC does not have a test for it… Even less one approved by the CAA.
I suppose if you can manage to get approved as an LPE by the CAA for FR LPR you could give it ?

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Bordeaux_Jim wrote:

Hi.

I am running a French language course aimed at helping UK pilots feel more comfortable when flying to France.

Below is a copy of the course outline.

Do you know if a native french speaker but with a UK issued PPL (so with no french language endorsement) is legal to fly in “Francais seulement” ?

Following numerous discussions on EuroGA on this subject, I believe the consensus is that no French LP is required.

You should however have a sufficient mastery of the French language to be able to cope with unexepected situations that requires a little more than some sentences you have learned by heart.

To give you an example, a few weeks ago I was to depart IFR from Toussus-le-Noble on a day where tower was closed. I did my taxi calls in French on the tower frequency, taxied to the runway, did the run-up and called Villa APP in English to get my departure clearance. They replied in French and told me that since ATS was closed at Toussus they would deliver the departure clearance in French only.

I do not want to revive the debate on this thread, but just to say that nobody on EuroGA has so far found a reference in Part-FCL or in the French AIP stating that French LP is required to do R/T in French in France.

Threads here and here

Last Edited by Aviathor at 24 Nov 16:11
LFPT, LFPN

They replied in French and told me that since ATS was closed at Toussus they would deliver the departure clearance in French only.

Do you think that was to make a point and drive it home at 150kt?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am sure it was.

LFPT, LFPN
164 Posts
Sign in to add your message