Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

LeSving wrote:

Is this “brexit” even a remotely probable event?

According to this article from the BBC, the latest polls indicate 40% of the British public would vote against the EU: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887
But a lot can happen in the two years until the referendum.

EDDS - Stuttgart

DavidC wrote:

(Hopefully this passes the test of being non-political ;)

That worked for about 4 posts…

As LeSving said it all depends on EASA membership.
I don’t recall whether it’s individual for EU countries or if it’s written as “EU countries”, the latter meaning UK would have to apply to EASA.

Then depending on this there are 2 outcomes :
- stay within EASA rule set = no change
- go for national rule set and then who knows…

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Now things get interesting.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

But nobody is going to jump off the cliff.

I think the UK leaving the EU will just drive home to airport managers that they should offer customs and immigration. Previously, the only relevant non-EU countries had very little GA which travelled outside their own country.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I wonder if I’ll be able to keep operating on my UK license a few years from now. I’d hate to have to put up with LBA.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

A modest proposal: leave EASA, adapt and adopt the FARs into British law, and conclude a close bilateral relationship with the administrator of the world’s largest and safest general aviation fleet.

P.S. Who’d have thought that Scotland would be saved by Yorkshire and Sunderland?

Last Edited by Jacko at 24 Jun 08:11
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

leave EASA, adapt and adopt the FARs into British law,

That would be an absolute scream, and yes I agree

But it didn’t happen before EASA so it won’t happen now.

The UK has adopted EASA regs and it won’t unwind them just for the fun of it. What they might do is scrap the most stupid bits e.g.

• The IMC Rating, destined to be killed by the EU in 2019, can now continue
  • Ability to fly a G-reg on any ICAO PPL (and IR too except that IFR is only OCAS i.e. near-useless) – this was killed by the EU in 2012 but is still available for “non EASA” aircraft e.g. Annex 2
  • EASA FCL attack on N-regs (duplicate pilot papers, currently delayed to April 2017) contains the word “community” which is clearly the EU so IMHO that is now gone

Anything else?

Of course the bigger picture is that some other bits of the EU might come off…

This just popped up on the chat media

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The name of this site would have to change. Maybe to EuroGe

Norway and Switzerland have been outside since the beginning, but we are a bit more pragmatic than the Brits. I really wonder how this is going to go forward. The first thing that will happen is Scotland breaking off, then Northern Ireland. Then the rest of UK will go “oops”, what have we done. This is the end of the UK for all the wrong reasons IMO.

The German dominance this will give inside EASA certainly cannot be good in any sort of way, so I hope UK England does not break out of EASA also.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

England cannot leave EASA as the national CAA no longer has the staff to operate as a regulator. I wouldn’t know if it has the inclination.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Guernsey and Jersey still have Civil Aviation Administrations, maybe we can tag on to theirs?

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message