Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

The PDF is here local copy

A search on “easa” yields no hits, and “aviation” yields nothing relevant.

Very strange indeed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not strange at all. This is only the withdrawal agreement, and the future relationship will take a bit more time to be negotiated.

Article 126 There shall be a transition or implementation period, which shall start on the date of entry into force of this Agreement and end on 31 December 2020

Article 127 (1) Unless otherwise provided in this Agreement, Union law shall be applicable to and in the United Kingdom during the transition period

So nothing will change anytime soon, and we won’t know what will happen thereafter, either, until whenever the next set of negotiations concludes.

Biggin Hill

Chap at work found the document linked below. Searching on “aviation”, I found:

“The Commission is also working with relevant agencies. Given the specific circumstances in the aviation sector, for example, the Commission has invited the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) to start processing certain applications from UK entities in preparation for the time when the United Kingdom will not be a Member State.”

“Air transport
In the area of air transport, the withdrawal of the United Kingdom without any arrangement in place at the withdrawal date, and without operators concluding the necessary and possible alternative arrangements, would lead to abrupt interruptions of air traffic between the United Kingdom and the European Union, due to the absence of traffic rights and/or the invalidity of the operating licence or of aviation safety certificates.
- Regarding traffic rights, the Commission will propose measures to ensure that air carriers from the United Kingdom are allowed to fly over the territory of the European Union, make technical stops (e.g. refuelling without embarkation/disembarkation of passengers), as well as land in the European Union and fly back to the United Kingdom. Those measures would be subject to the condition that the United Kingdom applies equivalent measures to air carriers from the European Union.
(Joe’s note: AIUI, this is ICAO standard rights and needs no special measures)
- Regarding aviation safety, for certain aeronautical products (ʻtype certificatesʼ) and companies (ʻorganisation approvalsʼ), the European Aviation Safety Authority (EASA) will only be able to issue certificates once the United Kingdom has become a third country. The Commission will propose measures ensuring continued validity of such certificates for a limited period of time. These measures will be subject to the condition that the United Kingdom applies similar measures. Likewise, the Commission will propose measures ensuring that parts and appliances placed on the Union market before the withdrawal date based on a certificate issued by a legal and natural person certified by the UK Civil Aviation Authority may still be used under certain circumstances.
- The Commission will take action to ensure that passengers and their cabin baggage flying from the United Kingdom and transiting via EU27 airports continue to be exempted from a second security screening, by applying the so-called ʻOne Stop Securityʼ system.
Regarding the requirement in EU law that air carriers must be majority-owned and controlled by EU legal or natural persons, the Commission underlines that it is essential for companies that wish to be recognised as EU air carriers to take all the necessary measures to ensure that they meet this requirement on 30 March 2019.”

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/brexit_files/info_site/communication-preparing-withdrawal-brexit-preparedness-13-11-2018.pdf

[ local copy ]

Last Edited by Joe-fbs at 20 Nov 17:30
strip near EGGW

That is as expected.

this is ICAO standard rights and needs no special measures

Unfortunately the ICAO automatic rights cover only noncommercial flights. All the airline rights are negotiated specially, with reciprocal arrangements everywhere.

And “UK” airlines will not be able to do intra-EU (i.e. neither end in the UK) flights. This is why e.g. Easyjet are moving their HQ to the EU and registering their planes in Austria

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Unfortunately the ICAO automatic rights cover only noncommercial flights. All the airline rights are negotiated specially, with reciprocal arrangements everywhere.

Almost – there is the IASTA, which grants the first two freedoms (overflight and tech stop, see here) to member states, and given that all the ICAO stuff is by country, I would expect both the UK and every EU country to formally be a member.

The rest (flights between EU countries and the UK (#3/4)) and flights between non-EU countries and EU countries by UK carriers (#5)) are typically bilateral.

Biggin Hill

The CAA have today given professional pilots until the end of the year to apply for CAA licences.

Can we apply for a CAA licence and an Irish one and keep the UK issued EASA one in case of soft Brexit?

Keeping the UK EASA one is most important for those of us with piggybacks, as any change in licence number invalidates the FAA licence and we have to start the whole dreadful process again.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

Keeping the UK EASA one is most important for those of us with piggybacks, as any change in licence number invalidates the FAA licence and we have to start the whole dreadful process again.

Now I feel smug about not bothering to get my part 61.75 reissued with the EASA number…I still have the UK PPL reference… I didn’t bother because I also have a standalone FAA Certificate…but now it looks like the 61.75 will again be valid!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

So, I had a uk licence with a FAA 61.75, I then updated to a EASA licence, got a new 61.75.so that the numbers matched.
My question is if we need to ge a CAA licence will I be able to just use my old one with its matching 61.75?

Timothy

Do you have a link?

Peter wrote:

Effectively giving Brittain the power to negotiate their own fate, take back control of their border… hilarious….

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France
Sign in to add your message