Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

A very good Q.

One not well known detail which comes to mind is this. Germany and IIRC Italy offer Immigration at many airports which don’t have Customs. But so few people know about this; most fly to “Customs” (usually meaning Customs+Immigration) airports, out of the UK. I have never tried this myself.

N-reg could be flown on FAA papers only, for ever

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Everything in the UK would get even more expensive than it already is now. We will probably go to Dallas or Wichita again instead of Farnborough for our simulator recurrents, which for me would be something hateful: Two full traveling days, jetlag, fluorinated tap water (gives me shivers just thinking about it – even the coffee tastes of fluor) US immigration queues – hopefully not!

Flying wise not much will change as the UK has been non-Schengen all the time. Passport control at both ends is already there, so customs or not will not make much difference. Our business flights to the UK (not really many now) will become even less I suppose, as British goods and services will become very difficult to sell in the EU. I guess a BREXITed Britain will become another Norway: One can fly there, but has to sleep in the plane and eat sandwiches brought along from home because hotels and food and drink will simply be too expensive for people paid in Euros…

Last Edited by what_next at 10 Dec 18:59
EDDS - Stuttgart

As a counterpoint I think very little will change. Aviation regulation will remain synchronised. UK and Europe will remain massive trading partners. No reason for the cost of things to change – they already have a separate currency.

Last Edited by JasonC at 10 Dec 19:01
EGTK Oxford

The sooner it happens the better.

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

I don’t think much would change in the UK. A UK mfg company of any size (that is, more than about 2 employees ) already exports to non Euro and non EU countries (e.g. my biggest European customers are Norway and Switzerland) and of course the USA. So they already have procedures in place to streamline it.

And the biggest Euro economies – Germany and France – are virtually impenetrable unless you have a very good local agent (if you are big then you open a local office/subsidiary) which reduces the [UK] mfg’s margins by a huge %.

The reason Norway is expensive is because it has a lot of oil money and a relatively tiny population. I am not sure why Switzerland is expensive but presumably mainly because everybody has been depositing money in there for the last 100 years. I don’t think the UK compares with these two at all.

But I would be amazed if the UK votes to leave the EU.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But I would be amazed if the UK votes to leave the EU.

The British have at least a choice to decide about their continued membership. To that extent the system in UK is more democratic than eg in Germany. Even as a german pilot I wish the end of the EU.

Berlin, Germany

highflyer wrote:

I wish the end of the EU

If you make that " … in its present form" I’ll be happy to concur.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Don’t forget that the main purpose of the EU is to prevent another war between Germany and France (3 wars between 1870 and 1945). In that it has been eminently successful.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

We will have to make a point of visiting more often once we exit so Europe doesn’t feel too isolated ;)

Gloucester UK (EGBJ)

what_next wrote:

Everything in the UK would get even more expensive than it already is now.

This isn’t a loaded question, I wonder why you think Sterling would rise further against the Euro in the event of a Brexit? That implies the markets would consider Sterling based assets more worthwhile as investments.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
Sign in to add your message