Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Neil wrote:

…I wonder why you think Sterling would rise further against the Euro in the event of a Brexit?

Isn’t it generally felt that the economically strong countries within the EU are held back somehow by the economically weak ones? So if a strong country like the UK leaves the EU, thereby “dropping it’s ballast” (which is the reason behind this whole BREXIT debate) it’s economic value is supposed to rise.

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

Isn’t it generally felt that the economically strong countries within the EU are held back somehow by the economically weak ones?

No, that is the economically strong countries in the Euro. And it is not altogether clear. Germany for example has benefitted enormously from a weaker Euro compared to having the DMark. There is cost too but it is certainly clear that Germany leaving the Euro would have a huge impact on the cost of living in Germany.

Indeed it is quite arguable that Greece would have solved some of its problems by now if it had its own currency that could depreciate rather than being held up by Germany/France.

The UK is not in the same boat. The currency is already separate.

The reason Norway is expensive is because it has a lot of oil money and a relatively tiny population. I am not sure why Switzerland is expensive but presumably mainly because everybody has been depositing money in there for the last 100 years. I don’t think the UK compares with these two at all.

But I would be amazed if the UK votes to leave the EU.

No the reason Norway and Switz are expensive is because they are wealthy and have their own currencies. The UK is very much in the same camp even though there is a greater spread of wealth.

I would not be surprised. I think the UK leaving is about 50% right now. I will leave for a “political” thread whether I think that is good or bad.

Last Edited by JasonC at 10 Dec 22:13
EGTK Oxford

Talking of eating sandwiches brought from home, that is just what currency control forced some tourists we met from the GDR to do when visiting Prague. I was wrong then to assume that fellow Europeans would put up with that kind of nonsense forever. I think it would be a similar mistake to assume that EUR/GBP will always be 1.4, but it’s nice for us while it lasts.

As for BREXIT, we don’t think it’ll make a scrap of difference to our company’s EU trade, or to GA to and from the continent.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I suspect it would accelerate a second Scottish independence referendum, with a separate vote this time.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

How about getting back on the topic of how this would affect GA?

I posted that the number of usable German and Italian airports would decrease somewhat, but probably not significantly operationally since almost nobody in the UK knows about the Customs v. Immigration separation

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

No-one knows. If the UK stays in EASA (which I think it would) it would be meaningless. Customs vs Immigration really is not that big a deal.

EGTK Oxford

It would inasmuch, as you would then need a ‘point of entry’ airfield as your first landing field. The distinction between customs and immigration should be clear to anyone who can read (or who has ever gone through an airport as pax).

Peter wrote:

Not much, except in the UK which, would be completely outside EASA jurisdiction (no SERA, no part NCO, no CS, nothing). EASA is possible outside EU due to EFTA and the EEA agreement. The UK would have to be a member of EFTA and/or EEA or create agreements on their own. So, if the UK did create similar agreements, nothing would change, if not, everything would change. Judging by how the UK handle foreign experimentals and microlights, and how it handles UK experimentals and microlight in foreign countries, if would definitely be for the worse (for UK citizens).

For the rest of us, we would probably have German language proficient tests instead of English

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

My first action of seperating myself from the UK (after changing from a G- on a PH- reg.) will be to not renew LAA-Membership (for reasons I’ve already mentioned)

I also think, that there won’t be a big impact when flying to the UK with my Experimental. At least I could argue, that it once lived there for several years and it’s airworthiness and build was supervised by the LAA back then

EDLE

Is this “brexit” even a remotely probable event?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message