Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

I didn’t know that the DfT ran the UK CAA and it’s policies, well you learn something new every day !
Why do the DfT hate it ? and which dept is responsible for this decision at the DfT ? Might as well rename the whole lot DfT Aviation Authority.
It’s also a problem for Cayman, Bermuda, IOM a/c flown with FAA papers. A validation by these authorities is confirmed as apparently worthless if holding FAA papers only if operator and pilot based in UK, or even if operator based non U.K. and pilot based in U.K. . So the FCL 3 year validation that these authorities issue isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on and might as well be shredded. With this being the case it doesn’t reflect well on the other a/c paperwork they issue, would it also be essentially worthless ?

Spain

Hurricane wrote:

I didn’t know that the DfT ran the UK CAA and it’s policies,

Seems that the Dft also issues exemptions that issued on behalf of the State not the CAA (not sure what that means but they have legal leavers fro that)

Like recently, for gliding TMG opt-out from EASA Apr 2018
https://members.gliding.co.uk/2018/03/22/update-easa-licensing-and-the-extended-opt-out-for-sailplane-pilots/

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Well it certainly seems that the DfT are running the show. Friends of mine have had issues with the FAA papers scenario along with the ensuing FCL validation issue from the above non U.K. registries. They were told by the registries that the FCL 3 year validation was initially ok but now that it is useless due to the FAA papers ban, and also that in any case the validation only validates their existing licence privileges. Even though the validation lists their capacity p1 or p2 that they are allowed to fly on the registry aircraft listed to be flown for 3 years !
The FCL validation issued is practically the same as joe public writing your name, licence number, aircraft registration and capacity on a piece of A4 and putting an official looking stamp underneath for something like Island of Fantasy Aviation Authority. It carries about that much weight only. They say it isn’t a form of licence or temporary 3 year licence so it begs the question, why issue a piece of paper that is worthless in the first place ? What does this say about the standard of the other paperwork they issue ?

Must be a cushy job for these mostly early aviation retiree expats in these places ! Coupled with nice little all expense paid trips to places such as Ebace, where do we sign up ?

Spain

The DfT outranks the CAA. The result is e.g. this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interesting link, yes the DfT seem to run the show. Probably no change and a further shafting for pilots with FAA papers next March then.

Spain

However, we just don’t know.

It looks like the DfT is happy with dual papers i.e. the FAA papers (as required for ICAO, by the State of registry) plus the Euro papers.

After Brexit, I would imagine any EASA papers will remain acceptable for the latter purpose even if the UK was not in EASA.

But in reality most UK N-reg owners will either sit out the endless derogations, or eventually obtain the UK CAA papers. Most of them have a UK PPL anyway; very few just did no flying here and did everything in the USA. So the IR is the biggest hurdle; I did mine in 2011 and today’s CB IR conversion route is easier because you can skip the 7 exams.

Remember also that the reason for the derogations is – ostensibly, and probably genuinely – that the EU has not been able to agree a mutual FCL treaty. See here and here, etc.

The latest situation with the UK derogation is a complete mess; go here and read from the end.

Administrator

Another interesting article

Nothing really new though.

Administrator

Who cares anyway ? I mean seriously. My wife, and I’m sure along with most other Norwegian girls and women have been glued to the TV today. The reason; Royal wedding in England. Brexit, EU, EASA, they couldn’t care less. Nothing beats a real royal wedding, and no one knows how to do them better than the Brits

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

With the risk of a “non-negotiated” / hard brexit, would it be a bad idea to do CBIR TK in the UK for non-UKians these days? Most people here seem to recommend the British schools for CBIR TK. What are the alternatives?

ENOP ENVA

I’d say it is a lottery.
You can try Poland. They have a training industry.

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message