Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

flying my N-registration in Europe is catnip to douaniers and air police who would no doubt be quick to tell me I must hold an EASA licence to fly a certified type in the EU.

If they are really smart (which on past record is incredibly improbable) they will know that to fly an N-reg you need

• an FAA license, OR
  • a license issued by the country in whose airspace you are flying

EASA is completely irrelevant to this; see here.

Contemplating the possible scenarios I am reluctantly inclining to option (a) and giving up my UK ppl.

That would be potentially worth doing only if you are flying an Irish reg plane, in which case you get worldwide privileges (noncommercial) only with an Irish issued license (or a license issued by another country if Ireland accepts it, and currently that is an EASA license).

Personally I would do nothing because every time I acted on fear I lost money… usually all of it The reason is simple psychology: it is human nature to coast along when the going is good (which is a bad idea; being paranoid and covering one’s 6 o’clock is much safer ) and it is equally human nature to take decisive action in the face of a clear impending disaster (which is why nearly all forecasts of doom and gloom turn out to be wrong, and disasters nearly always turn out to be non-disasters).

A big part of this uncertainty is that Brussels has prohibited EU member countries (and their govt agencies e.g. the CAAs) from having individual discussions with the UK. This was done to enable Mr Barnier to have exclusive rights on shafting the UK If such discussions have taken place (and I would think they must have, because it is in everybody’s interest to have them) no indication of it could appear in the open.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I understand it’s possible to hold a UK ICAO PPL (a UK licence as distinct from an EASA licence).

Is it possible to get such a UK licence issued, and then hold onto that, while getting your EASA licence transferred to Ireland?

I’m not sure of the ins and outs of that, and there may not be enough time left for both processes to happen in time (getting a UK ICAO licence & then getting a change of state of your EASA one).

But it might be worth asking about.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Doesn’t the IAA accept e.g. FAA licenses too? They were for many years amazingly generous. For example until about 15 years ago they would automatically convert an FAA CPL/IR or ATPL into a JAA one… until Brussels shut that down.

Administrator

If you’re extremely risk-averse then change the SOLI to the Republic of Ireland, or even Switzerland or Austria, before the end of the year. The change of SOLI will not formally occur until your UK-granted licence has been surrendered so you may delay that last step until closer to exit day in order to continue using your IR(R) for as long as possible. If UK stays out of EASA then you’ll be able, and encouraged, to apply for a UK Part-FCL licence which will be distinct from and independent of any EU Part-FCL licence.

dublinpilot wrote:

Is it possible to get such a UK licence issued, and then hold onto that, while getting your EASA licence transferred to Ireland?

The UK CAA is required by art 152 of the ANO to grant UK pilot’s licences to suitable applicants. In the case of a UK commercial pilot’s licence the privileges of the IMC rating are embedded. These licences may not be used, except until early April at the LAPL privilege level, for aircraft that are regulated by the Basic Regulation. How many IFR-capable Annex I aircraft are there…?

Last Edited by Qalupalik at 06 Dec 16:19
London, United Kingdom

How many IFR-capable Annex I aircraft are there…?

Very few. But it isn’t just IFR-capable. It is more importantly ones not needing the border crossing permits – here.

For some people the UK national PPL may be a solution… though perhaps not for the reasons most would like it, because the CAA won’t issue it unless you hold a Class 2 medical at the time of the application. You can apparently downgrade to the medical self declaration later.

Administrator

Curious about my Company, the Cargologic Air, the Great British Cargo Airline. Until now, there was no any official communication about our licenses. Company employs Spansih, Dutch, German, French, Greek, Hungarian, Slovenian, license holders….Aircraft are G-registered 747s…

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

Peter wrote:

because the CAA won’t issue it unless you hold a Class 2 medical at the time of the application.

You mean UK (non-EASA) full PPL?

For UK NPPL only need to meet DVLA Group 1 (being able to drive a private car sill not required to hold a driving licence), you can get one easily but you can’t attach any useful rating to it,

To get a UK (non-EASA) full PPL maybe you have to queue at Gatwick until you+they can figure out which form can be used

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

You mean UK (non-EASA) full PPL?

Yes.

For UK NPPL only need to meet DVLA Group 1 (being able to drive a private car sill not required to hold a driving licence), you can get one easily but you can’t attach any useful rating to it,

The IMCR can be used with it, AFAIK, but only for non EASA aircraft. Not sure of the latest on that, given this and this bit

To get a UK (non-EASA) full PPL maybe you have to queue at Gatwick until you+they can figure out which form can be used

You can be sure of that

Administrator

UK NPPL is day VFR only

Now retired from forums best wishes

I still have in my possession a lifetime UK PPL “UK/PP/######J/A”. My FAA 61.75 was issued on it. I’m not certain if it’s still valid.
I now have a “GBR.FCL.PP.######J.A” licence and a “GBR.PP.######J.A” licence.
I have a UK CAA European Union Class 2 Medical Certificate Partaining to a Part-FCL Licence, with “GBR-######J” on it, expiring 19/12/2019.
The ###### are all the same.
I was intending revalidating the 61.75 on the EASA licence, but that might be pointless soon.
If I go to the US, I may take the lot to a FSDO and ask.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message