Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Consider it a clarification

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

I heard on the BBC this morning that there is a fair amount of money on a “Norway” solution. That would mean being inside Schengen. The first good news in this whole shambles.

Now I’m curious. What’s the “Norway” solution exactly?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

“Norway” solution exactly

For simplicity, unlike Canada, it seems Norway has a border with the EU

Took 3 years for people in the UK to realize that happens in few places (in Eire, Gibraltar and almost around Dover/Calais via tunnel), I don’t fly GA to Canada yet, but may try in the next 2 years

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Dec 14:47
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Maybe someone can help me with the following question in connection with change of SOLI:
To get the UK CAA to release my medical records I need to submit to the CAA a form “SRG2150”. This has to be accompanied by “A certified copy of your most recent licence”. The guidance notes specify that the persons who can act as the certifier are the “head of training at an ATO” or an AOC official (this latter not relevant for a private pilot).

Firstly it seems bizarre that the CAA wants certification of a copy of a document they themselves issued.

Second, I do not know where I will find an ATO conveniently, maybe I will have to travel somewhere.

Third, the application can be done online, in which case an original certified copy document is not possible.

Any comment from the pundits here?

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

Interesting but what is a SOLI ??????

UK, United Kingdom

I’m guessing it’s “state of licence issue”.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Don’t you just obscure acronyms?

UK, United Kingdom

@Bluebeard Once I had a similar requirement with the UK CAA. About a year ago my licence got lost in the post and had to ask them to reissue a new one. They wanted certified copies of documents (I think it was the passport) and on their website it said that it needed to be signed by the head of training at an ATO. I phoned them up and was told me it’s enough if it’s certified at the post office.

I live in Portugal so I asked the local postoffice to include a stamped letter in english saying something like “i hereby certify that this is a true copy of the original…”

My suggestion is to give them a call. They are quite helpful on the phone, although they might be quite busy at the moment.

Sorry I am lapsing into acronyms. SOLI = State of Licence Issue.

If :
(a) my UK-issued EASA PPL ceases to be an EASA licence on 29 March 2019, a scenario that appears at least possible or more realistically probable; and
(b) an EU based “operator” such as myself in Ireland is required to have an EASA licence to legally fly most certified aircraft types (registered anywhere) in EASA-land airspace, as I understand to be the case currently,
then I would be grounded altogether in respect of such certified aircraft from 30 March next unless I change my “State Of Licence Issue” to another EASA state in the meantime.

If that straightforward analysis is defective, someone else here will tell me! This is not protecting my 6 o’clock, in the metaphor suggested by Peter above; it is protecting my 12 o’clock. As things stand, the UK is leaving EASA 16 weeks from now. The SOLI change process takes up to 12 weeks, according to the IAA, and that’s probably in normal times.

I do have a standalone FAA private certificate, an oasis of sanity, but that does not seem to be relevant to the propositions above.

Perhaps I could pay the change fees, apply to change SOLI as an option to do so, and change my mind later and decline to hand over my UK licence, thus not completing the change process. It appears UK licences may not continue to be classed as EASA post-Brexit. Call it paranoia but in choosing between a modest downside and a big downside of unknown probability, doing nothing to protect myself against the latter appears increasingly unattractive.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland
Sign in to add your message