Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

@alge, thanks, looks like the idiocy never stops. And yes, looks like you’re correct, there is an EASA ATO in San Diego.

Last Edited by 172driver at 10 Dec 23:54

alge wrote:

looks like there’s an easa ato down in San Diego?

I haven’t been tracking the details or intent of this thread but that’s probably American Aviation Academy, what was once under previous ownership called Anglo American Aviation. Some time back I was under the impression that they operated under UK CAA licensing. At least one regular EuroGA poster earned his PPL there.

The latest UK CAA advice seems to be here.

Would I be able to continue operating EU-registered aircraft?
The European Commission has said that it would not recognise UK-issued licences. To continue operating EU registered aircraft, you could seek a licence validation from any EASA Competent Authority, which would valid for aircraft registered in any EASA member State. The European Commission has said you cannot seek this until after the UK has formally withdrawn from the EU. Alternatively, you could undertake a State of Licence Issue transfer before 29 March 2019. This means transferring your licence and medical from the UK to another EASA member state prior to EU exit.

However pure and noble the Commission’s motive for threatening Union residents who hold UK-issued part-FCL licences with fire and brimstone, it appears that their current stance infringes Articles 17 (Right to property), 21 (Non-discrimination) and 41 (Right to good administration) of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, to mention but a few of the more obvious violations.

If I were the victim of such a threat, then rather than be panicked into changing my SOLI, I would file a complaint using the Commission’s own online form, and also to the European Ombudsman. But maybe that’s just a queer Yorkshire notion… maybe that’s why we voted to leave the Union…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

Just curious, how much does it all cost?

So far £77 for the medical and £45 for the license to UK CAA. I’m expecting the Norwegian CAA to want some kr in the end as well for issuing a new license and medical?

ENOP ENVA

The deed is done. While some last minute reciprocal licensing arrangement may well emerge from Brexit, the downside for me if this did not happen would exceed the downside of a SOLI change out of the UK. So I am just back from the post office now, I have sent:

To the IAA, form RPPL-F-100E, which will I believe cost €250 for a PPL, with copies of my Part-FCL licence, medical and passport.

To the UK CAA:
• Form SRG2150 consenting to release of licence information to the IAA, including authorisation of an unspecified fee (anecdotally thought to be £45), and original certified copy of my licence and medical. I found a HOT at an ATO willing to certify, he showed me guidance he had from the CAA saying that a UK-approved examiner would be acceptable too; this information would, if it had been printed on SRG2150, have saved me a great deal of time and trouble.
• Form SRG1202 consenting to transfer of my medical records. This is a dog’s dinner of a form, obviously designed for a transfer TO the UK as the title page says and amended to be more general.
• Form SRG1201 setting up another payment for the medical transfer, of £77.
So Brexit is costing me directly a total of about €386, a few hours’ flying. If I was transferring more ratings there would be further fees. The bigger cost is the time I have spent on this whole imbroglio. If a UK-EASA deal does emerge I may be able to cancel or withdraw my applications, but the money will be down the drain anyway.

The UK requirements listed above are not exactly clearly set out on the CAA website, especially SRG1201.

An acquaintance who submitted the same forms above some weeks ago, was warned by the CAA that unless the IAA sent their official request to the CAA within 30 working days, his application would be cancelled. It did say somewhere on the CAA website (I can’t find this now, possibly removed) that pre-Brexit SOLI documents should be received by 1st January; yet another CAA notice says the office is closed from 21 December to early January.

I know the IAA is faced with an avalanche of SOLI transfer applications.

I wrote a cover letter to the CAA setting out some of my views about their process. However after an initial draft I toned down the final version a bit. It might land on the desk of some ardent Brexiter whose dreams of Britannia Set Free are being frustrated by irritating concerns about certain consequences in – er – where? Ah yes, Ireland ……

My cover letters to both authorities specified that I am exercising my legal right to transfer, having in mind the basis for a legal complaint if the UK does a “no-deal” exit from the EU and my transfer is not completed. Jacko echoes this aspect above. However the Charter of Fundamental Rights may cease to be relevant to any remedies I might have in a UK context after Brexit Day.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

" infringes Articles 17 (Right to property), 21 (Non-discrimination) and 41 (Right to good administration) of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union,"
But it won’t affect us until after we leave the EU, and by then we won’t have EU Citizens Rights. We’ll be back to being Subjects of a State with no written constitution.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

by then we won’t have EU Citizens Rights.

Northern Irish citizens will remain EU citizens.

London, United Kingdom

One of the more interesting things, for many, will be whether the UK CAA will impose the EASA FCL N-reg dual papers requirement post-brexit. I think they probably will because the Dept for Transport will want it, but it may not happen right away.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

Northern Irish citizens will remain EU citizens.

Do you have a reference backing that? Northern Ireland is UK.

ESME, ESMS

The 1998 Belfast Agreement:

CONSTITUTIONAL ISSUES
1. The participants endorse the commitment made by the British and Irish
Governments that, in a new British-Irish Agreement replacing the Anglo Irish Agreement, they will:

(vi) recognise the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to
identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they
may so choose, and accordingly confirm that their right to hold both
British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would
not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland.

And the Constitution of Ireland,

Article 2
It is the entitlement and birthright of every person born in the island of
Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, to be part of the Irish nation.
That is also the entitlement of all persons otherwise qualified in
accordance with law to be citizens of Ireland. Furthermore, the Irish
nation cherishes its special affinity with people of Irish ancestry living
abroad who share its cultural identity and heritage.

London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message