Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

UK issued licences and approvals (issued when the UK was an EASA member) will continue to have validity under UK law but will no longer be recognised by EASA for use on EASA Member State-registered aircraft.

How will that work with say an Airbus with Rolls Royce engines? RR can set up a mainland based office and run an EASA145 organisation base out of there, but the engines installed on the airliners will become unairworthy on 29th March (or whichever the date becomes).

A colleague of mine works for a big airliner maintenance company, uk based. They are carrying on as if nothing happened, yet presumably they must have assessed the situation, and done so with consultation with their customers.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

How will that work with say an Airbus with Rolls Royce engines? RR can set up a mainland based office and run an EASA145 organisation base out of there, but the engines installed on the airliners will become unairworthy on 29th March (or whichever the date becomes).

Aircraft and engines are actually approved by EASA not the CAA. Pilots and mechanics and organisations are approved by the CAA.

EGTK Oxford

A friend at Airbus tells me that they have contingency plans in place for a no deal brexit, but a deal would be a bonus. He didn’t elaborate.

France

Peter wrote:

but the engines installed on the airliners will become unairworthy on 29th March (or whichever the date becomes).

That will not happen as it hugely impacts both UK/EU sides badly and will be sorted/prioritised even with no-deal after March29

Anything one-sided/small impact will just magically happen after the cut-off date under no-deal to the surprise of many, so I will not bet these things will be as before (e.g. my G-PPL no longer valid to fly an F-reg, F-PPL can’t operate G-reg…), you can’t compare “G-PPL not valid on F-reg” to “RR on Airbus is unairworthy”…

One credit you can give to pro-brexit cabinet in N10 front seats, is their attention to details

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Mar 21:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Aircraft and engines are actually approved by EASA not the CAA

Fair enough but what about the other vast number of parts from UK suppliers to Airbus?

you can’t compare “G-PPL not valid on F-reg” to “RR on Airbus is unairworthy”…

I agree, when looking at the relative commercial impact, but due to the wide scope of the problems, it is unlikely that deals will be done only to address specific concerns. Much more likely there will be a general interim deal which, given the obvious mutual benefit, would IMHO be along the lines of “carry on as before”.

Administrator

On an otherwise dreich late winter morning a little ray of sunshine floated into our office today courtesy of Mr Jim Harra, deputy chief exec of HMRC and Roger, our postman. Now I’m often tempted to deposit “Dear customer” letters from Her Majesty’s servants unread into File 13, but a colleague drew this one to my attention:

Effectively, if all goes well next week, those of us who import goods from outside the Union (i.e. most GA avionics and maintenance businesses) will receive a significant cash-flow windfall by accounting for import and input VAT simultaneously, in the same way as we currently do on goods from member states of the Union.

Mr Harra’s letter concludes “we are committed to supporting you and your business…” – and so, however improbably, it seems.

Is this Brexit business opening the door to a parallel universe where small and medium enterprises no longer quake at the words “l’m from the Government and I’m here to help you”?

Last Edited by Jacko at 20 Mar 22:35
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Fair enough but what about the other vast number of parts from UK suppliers to Airbus?

Well the CAA has no airworthiness role now at all so that shouldn’t make a difference. Customs and duties etc could.

EGTK Oxford

Jacko wrote:

Effectively, if all goes well next week, those of us who import goods from outside the Union (i.e. most GA avionics and maintenance businesses) will receive a significant cash-flow windfall by accounting for import and input VAT simultaneously, in the same way as we currently do on goods from member states of the Union.

That is a huge plus in a no deal scenario.

EGTK Oxford

Well the CAA has no airworthiness role now

What I was getting at were the EASA-145 approvals of the various UK manufacturers who supply Airbus. These approvals will end.

Administrator

Jason you are correct on licencing – I was referring to UK based pilots converting to an EU state licence other than UK.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message