Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Yes, and probably even more so due to concessions such as the medical self declaration being usable with it (as with the NPPL) though not for IFR or non UK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes but presumably if we fell out of EASA wouldnt we back to national licences and would the old life time licences (for those who have) be as good as the day they were minted, including for flights outside the UK (assuming of course EASA accepted them, which I guess they would).

Unfortunately the new medical arrangements are of no help for twins anyway.

I have a UK PPL, stated to be for life, issued in 1988, but replaced with a JAR type on changing address in 2006, also stated to be for life.
I have an EASA PPL, issued a few years ago. I have a UK PPL issued at the same time. I don’t know if my previous UK lifetime licence became invalid at that time. I was not told to return or destroy it.
I have an FAA 61.75, revalidated on the UK JAR type. I’ll have to revalidate it on something, but not until the Brexit mess sorts itself out.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh – I think your 61.75 is probably no longer valid unless it is on the basis of a current EASA licence.

I also think the life time CAA licence is still valid, but, hence my question, if we are kicked out of EASA (unlikely) then will that become the defacto licence?

I am assuming a 61.75 based on an EASA licence will remain valid for the life of the EASA licence, although it will not be possible to renew the EASA licence presumably – unless of course EASA immediately revoke all British EASA licences, in which case I guess the 61.75 becomes invalid.

What a potential mess.

All UK pilots should apply for the national UK PPL because that will continue to be valid regardless of what happens in Europe.

Confusingly, this is not the same thing as the NPPL although everybody in the UK should also apply for that anyway, to lock-in the self medical declaration option. Medically, you never know what is just around the corner in life – especially if you do the traditional “bacon butty / all day breakfast” greasy stodge burger run circuit, when an angina diagnosis followed by a stent or three is probably just around the corner and will reveal itself next time you try to walk up a hill in the winter…

Brussels’ current position is to invalidate all UK issued EASA licenses at brexit date but AIUI this is relevant only if you are flying a non G-reg. For example I have a UK issued PPL/IR and that will remain valid (for a G-reg) beyond brexit date. It will in effect become, via a CAA declaration, a UK national PPL/IR. However, the EASA PPL will not become the UK national PPL. I can’t really get my head around this bit.

I think the CAA hopes it will remain in EASA, which is a reasonable possibility since the current daft business of Easyjet etc moving licensing to Austria is just a totally predictable p1sstake of the Brussels position, easily solved by the application of a few million quid sent to Austria. Nobody (apart from a load of job creation in the Austrian CAA) gains anything in the end. And the vast majority of UK private pilots fly G-regs, or N-regs which (apart from the 61.75 angle) are unaffected.

Administrator

I suspect we will end up with a two tier approach where commercial licensing will stay in EASA (should we exit with an aviation sector deal) but the current raft of derogations for private level will become enduring and pilots will have the option of EASA or National licensing for private level flying. I cannot ever see ending/losing the current UK National relaxations like medicals in order to standardise on European rules will ever now be politically acceptable.

Now retired from forums best wishes

Fuji_Abound wrote:

So presumably the [UK non–Part-FCL] licence will prove just as good in future as it was before?

There will be essentially no change. They may continue to be used on non–Part-21 (non-EASA) aircraft and when the operator is neither resident nor established in UK on third-country aircraft. Here are licence maps based on the ANO presently and on exit day (pdf link 1 and link 2). The second one reflects amendments made by the Aviation Safety (Amendment etc.) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019 (link).

London, United Kingdom

Astonishing work, Qalupalik.

Interesting to note that for an N-reg the situation is just like it has been for some years…

PDF local copy: before after

Administrator

On exit day a non-UK resident may pilot an N-reg in UK using a UK PPL. Only non-EU residents may do so today. Assuming the operation is non-commercial.

London, United Kingdom

So on exit day, can I continue to fly a G-reg on a FR issued EASA license?

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France
Sign in to add your message