Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

CBIR theory is a bit of a false economy. The learning objectives amount to more than 80% of the full IR material, and the exams are actually shorter which works against you if you get a couple of tricky questions in already short exams like IFR comms and instrumentation.

EIMH, Ireland

zuutroy wrote:

CBIR theory is a bit of a false economy

In the UK at least, you needed to do something like 2 weeks classroom for the full IR.

With the CBIR I took 2 days classroom on a weekend, so had to take zero holidays. That made a very big different to me (especially given that I tend to perceive classroom as a waste of time, as I generally self-study better. The 2 days classroom only reinforced that feeling).

alge wrote:

With the risk of a “non-negotiated” / hard brexit, would it be a bad idea to do CBIR TK in the UK for non-UKians these days?

It’s a good question and I think nobody knows what’s going to happen. If the UK crashes out of the EU and EASA, then one hell of a lot of pilots (including myself to a degree – my FAA license is standalone, therefore not affected) are in trouble, as their licenses then become some third country licenses with none of the privileges an EASA license confers. There’s a big thread about that over at Pprune in the R&N (i.e. the professional flying) part.

With the risk of a “non-negotiated” / hard brexit, would it be a bad idea to do CBIR TK in the UK for non-UKians these days? Most people here seem to recommend the British schools for CBIR TK. What are the alternatives?

Where is the risk?

If you do EASA compliant anything somewhere, it will be EASA compliant.

You could sit the exams on Jupiter.

The only issue is the “medical records residence” but that always was eg the CAA won’t issue an IR unless they hold your medical records.

Airline pilots have different issues…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I still don’t see where the risk is for a private pilot as to where he does the written exams, so long as he finishes them before March 2019.

Regulations are not normally retrospective e.g. if you did a PPL/IR in Greece and Greece later dropped out of the EU, out of EASA, etc, etc, that PPL/IR will still be an EASA license/rating, until it expires and then you will have to revalidate it somewhere else – as well as get your medical records transferred IF they were based in Greece.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Regulations are not normally retrospective e.g. if you did a PPL/IR in Greece and Greece later dropped out of the EU, out of EASA, etc, etc, that PPL/IR will still be an EASA license/rating, until it expires and then you will have to revalidate it somewhere else – as well as get your medical records transferred IF they were based in Greece.

That would be the reasonable thing. However, EASA has issued a statement (linked to by Hurricane earlier in this thread) which says that any “certificates” issued by the UK will cease to be valid if and when the UK leaves EASA. The definition of “certificate” is quite broad. It certainly includes pilot’s licenses and might well include certificates stating that you have passed TK exams.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I cannot see how that statement can be legally valid. For sure in the UK justice system it would not be.

There have been cases where this got tested. Something like was posted here and when this happened in the UK (as opposed to France where the DGAC just shafted the students) the UK CAA protected the students’ rights and made sure that they would get the stuff they were offered when the course was commenced. They had to do that because the students could have trivially easily sued the CAA.

If the EU had a proper justice system (not saying it hasn’t) then if, upon brexit, the EU cancelled UK-issued EASA papers, you would sue the EU and easily win – because on the front of the “certificate” it says two very specific things: (1) it is EASA-compliant and (2) it is valid till Date X. This cannot be taken away before Date X.

So I think whoever wrote that threat (and there are many such threats being thrown up right now, like not giving the UK decryption keys for the Galileo system – what a complete scream that would be… who wants keys to a white elephant, notwithstanding that the UK paid about £1BN into it) didn’t get legal advice on it.

Sovereign States (in the UK, via an Act of Parliament, not less) do have the power to retrospectively strip privileges, and do so without compensation. But this is very rarely exercised. It was done decades ago in the UK with some nationalisation moves (nationalisation without compensation).

Administrator

There is a lot of nonsense said on both sides.

On the UK side – it is completely within the power for the UK to to accept whatever they want after Brexit, not to have border controls at the Irish border, not to impose tariffs on imports from the EU, to continue to allow EU nationals through e-passport gates and in general continue as before. So imports do not have to be affected at all.

Of course, the EU can immediately do the opposite, so exports would be affected badly, or the EU could just continue as is while they figure out how to really do this (which is what the transition agreement really is).

A fantastic example is passport controls and visa requirements. It has not been a problem to have Swiss being treated like EU nationals well before they joined Schengen, visa-free travel arrangements on intra-European travel pre-date the EU membership of many countries. Abandoning this is not a requirement, it is blustering, and needlessly inconveniencing travellers to make a point.

What we are seeing now is a bit of brinkmanship on both sides, which could descend into some silly trade war.

The “CEO of a major supermarket chain” may well be right, though. If the general population fears food shortages and starts to hoard, supply chains will collapse quickly even before anything happens… as usual, the panic buying is worse than the (non-)shortage.

Biggin Hill

Airborne_Again wrote:

However, EASA has issued a statement (linked to by Hurricane earlier in this thread) which says that any “certificates” issued by the UK will cease to be valid if and when the UK leaves EASA.

Valid for what and where?

For private flying in domestic airspace, I don’t see why an X-AA can’t allow you to fly a Z-reg aircraft on a Y-licence in their X-airspace?
For commercial/foreign flying, I agree this is where all the fun begins

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

That’s correct; the main scenario (e.g. a G-reg owner flying it on UK CAA papers) will not be affected; you still have the usual worldwide privileges (noncommercial, etc).

The suggestion posted today is that IR exams done in the UK may not be valid after brexit. My view is that those exam passes are EASA-compliant and that’s it. There could well be a problem if you didn’t pass them all before the brexit date, and I reckon CATS etc are going to be worried, rightly or wrongly, about a lot of students disappearing as the date approaches.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message