Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Yes; I was using the wrong term. An “EASA aircraft” is one whose airframe type has an EASA Type Certificate i.e. it is capable of getting an EASA CofA if moved onto an EASA registry.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Administrator

Peter wrote:

An “EASA aircraft” is one whose airframe type has an EASA Type Certificate i.e. it is capable of getting an EASA CofA if moved onto an EASA registry.

For the purpose of flight crew licensing an EASA aircraft is one requiring an EASA C of A or permit to fly. This interpretation is made in Schedule 1 (Interpretation) to the Air Navigation Order 2016:

“EASA aircraft” means an aircraft which is required by the Basic EASA Regulation and any implementing rules adopted by the Commission in accordance with that Regulation to hold an EASA certificate of airworthiness, an EASA restricted certificate of airworthiness or an EASA permit to fly
Last Edited by Qalupalik at 02 Oct 12:43
London, United Kingdom

That sounds like the UK CAA defines an EASA Aircraft as an EASA-reg one… most interesting!

Administrator

Am I correct in thinking that if you want to be able to fly EASA aircraft after Brexit the most safe thing to do is transfer you UK CAA license to another competent authority within EASA for a small fee. In this cause you will be able to fly EASA and G-reg. Otherwise, worst case scenario, you’ll only be able to fly G-reg after a hard miserable Brexit. You’d need to make the transfer before March 2019.

The alternative is gambling that Brexit will go OK and that nothing much will change.

I believe so Marsan, if you mean UK issued EASA licence…

Im hoping a UK CAA PPL will still work for any G-reg as its ICAO even if you switch your CAA issued EASA licence.

Marsen wrote:

The alternative is gambling that Brexit will go OK

Looks more like a double bet (gamble on a gamble) but personally I am happy to take it

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Does that mean UK pilots will need to switch their FAA 61.75 licences again? Lol….

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Anyone got any thoughts on which is a decent EASA authority to move your UK CAA license to in order to prepare for the worst?

I have heard that Austrocontrol are very efficient. Also thinking about Ireland as the obvious advantage is there is no language barrier.

The licencing issue is the least pressing one.

If every piece of paper that is required on an aircraft that is not UK registered becomes invalid in the future, then aircraft needing parts from any UK supplier will be grounded unless the spare part can be sourced elsewhere, or until it is recertified / papered by an EASA company.

The same applies to UK parts in an international supply chain requiring EASA paperwork.With most Airbus wings coming from the UK, amd a latge fleet of aircraft using Rolls Royce engines, i am fairly certain that, in case of the Uk unceremoneusly being evicted from EASA, there will be some mutual recognition until something has been agreed.

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message