Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Airline flights have always been reciprocal, all over the world. So if say Air France want to run flights to Upper Volta, they have to agree to Upper Volta Airlines to fly to CDG, etc.

There is a catch: Upper Volta Airlines are prob99 banned by Brussels from flying to the EU (due to dodgy maintenance) and I don’t know how that is resolved; maybe the deal involves Upper Volta Airlines to subcontract to an airline based in [insert your favourite European country where everything is gold plated]

Beware of news media headlines (both in the UK and especially on the mainland too)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Bathman wrote:

Do you have a link?

It was just an email. But I misread it. It actually said:

Update to EU exit information – commercial pilots
We have updated the information on our microsite concerning commercial pilots in the event of a non-negotiated EU exit. To enable the CAA time to complete its part in the licence transfer process, the CAA advises that application forms for State of Licence Issue transfers from the receiving EU National Aviation Authority need to be submitted to the CAA by 1 January, 2019.
EGKB Biggin Hill

Came across this today on another forum:

Brexit declaration makes clear UK will not seek to stay in EASA
— By Joshua Posaner and Jacopo Barigazzi
11/22/18, 12:13 PM CET
The U.K. will maintain “close cooperation” with the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), stopping short of membership, according to an expanded version of the joint political declaration on Brexit being discussed by EU ambassadors today.“Parties should make further arrangements to enable cooperation with a view to high standards of aviation safety and security, including through close cooperation between EASA and the United Kingdom’s Civil Aviation Authority,” the expanded declaration, obtained by POLITICO, said.The agreement sets out what should be negotiated over the coming months as part of a future relationship once Brexit happens and the transition phase ends. The expanded declaration calls for a new comprehensive air transport agreement to be worked up to cover everything from market access and investment to aviation safety and security, air traffic management, and provisions to ensure open and fair competition.That should also cover passenger rights and consumer protection, the deal said.In the joint declaration the two sides agree to maintain rail services like the Belfast-Dublin Enterprise Line and services through the Channel Tunnel. They also propose to set up an exchange of information between the European Maritime Safety Agency and the U.K.’s Maritime and Coastguard Agency.The text also calls for “comparable market access” for road transport operators

This has just popped up on my email.

Mostly the usual stuff but with a bit more clarity in some areas.

Mr Barnier says he will shut down UK based EASA 21 companies, for example I guess the existing ones will try to do deals with mainland ones so the OK one can do the design work and rent the mainland company’s 145 approval, like happens already with non-145 companies renting a 145 company’s approval for EASA-1 form generation.

This “hardball” is mostly in one direction though because the UK CAA is saying they will accept EU approvals etc for 2 years plus. My guess is that the UK CAA is the more realistic of the two sides, because whoever implements this will end up with an awful lot of grounded airliners… and nobody in the UK wants that in the UK.

Administrator

The word “EASA” on my nice blue UK-issued licence will probably disappear on 29th March, absent some unlikely-looking political developments. I want to be able to continue flying a range of G- and other states’ SEPs.

As an EU resident (Ireland) I now have an imminent decision:
(a) apply now to the IAA for a change of state-of-licence-issue (which the UK CAA says needs to be initiated by 1st January); or
(b) wait until next April and use my by-then morphed UK national licence as the basis for applying to the IAA for a new EASA licence.

Both choices have disadvantages.

Choice (a) results in a loss of my very useful UK-only and recently renewed IR(R), together with fees to the IAA and CAA.
Choice (b) will lead to some exams (a hassle, but probably not too much trouble if limited to air law and suchlike), new medical (hopefully ok), flight test (very current so should be ok), IAA fees and maybe other things I have not thought about.

This decision needs to be taken in the near future; the IAA’s standard reply to licensing queries now suggests a response within 30 days. The UK CAA is suggesting 1 January to initiate SOLI changes before Brexit. Delivering one’s SOLI application to the authorities on 28th March next does not seem to be an option ………

I can just see the letter from the IAA dated 30th March 2019: “We acknowledge receipt of your SOLI form ….. We regret to inform you that due to our exceptional workload we were unable to process your application before the UK ceased to be a member of EASA. Consequently the enclosed licence is no longer a Part-FCL licence and no longer entitles you to fly EASA-type aircraft in the airspace of EASA member states …”

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

I have a Czech issued part FCL PPL. I am emigrating back to the UK next week, where I will join a club and start flying G- aircraft.
I don’t know what will happen re: Brexit and the CAA possibly leaving EASA, but I am assuming that I will be able to exercise my current licence in the UK for at least the two year period that CAA stated on that slide deck, and that I would eventually have to turn in my licence to CAA to get it changed. Am I mistaken or do I need to send in my licence to the CAA right away?

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

If I were you I would keep my EASA license. It is valid in all EASA states and I doubt the UK will not validate them post-brexit.

ESME, ESMS

Coda wrote:

would eventually have to turn in my licence to CAA to get it changed.

That is not true. If UK leaves EASA then it will be possible to simultaneously hold a UK Part-FCL licence and a EU Part-FCL licence. If UK stays in or rejoins EASA then the present situation will prevail with one exception: a licence validation from the state of registry will be necessary when operating, outside the EU, an aircraft registered in an EU member state.

London, United Kingdom

Any views on Bluebeard’s post above?

I think there are too many unknowns, and in any case the CAA is not likely to process the paperwork in time. They have still not issued my renewed IR, following a test in August…

Administrator

Postscript: The IAA is, I hear, getting several hundred SOLI applications each day.
From its website: “Brexit: Please note that processing times are expected to extend as a result of Brexit. Applicants holding a UK issued FCL should note that if an application extends beyond March 29th 2019, that it may not be possible to complete the transfer request."

This looks like a CYA notice, telling us there is no guarantee that we will be able to exercise our current legal right to change SOLI if the bureaucrats don’t clear their in-trays by 29 March. Such diligence sounds improbable.

I foresee trouble ahead, a lot of Irish private pilots are flying with UK-issued licences, to say nothing of commercial operations and instructors. People seem to think the UK and EU will work something out in the end; but the recent political declaration makes it pretty clear that the UK will be outside EASA. The typical post-Brexit reaction of affected private pilots here is likely to be “ah F***-it”. Pilot licensing in EASAland has been so screwed around for the past decade that the system invites disrespect and noncompliance. Only insurance and ramp check potential incentivises me to pay close attention; flying my N-registration in Europe is catnip to douaniers and air police who would no doubt be quick to tell me I must hold an EASA licence to fly a certified type in the EU.

Contemplating the possible scenarios I am reluctantly inclining to option (a) and giving up my UK ppl.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland
Sign in to add your message