Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Maoraigh wrote:

I still have in my possession a lifetime UK PPL “UK/PP/######J/A”. My FAA 61.75 was issued on it. I’m not certain if it’s still valid.

My understanding is that has invalidated many 61.75 licences on JAR ones from FFA perspective, a “convenient solution” was to get that re-issued by the FAA where the application is made in the UK with help of CAA (no need to go to the US and there was a big queue in Sywell LAA Rallye with deadline this September to get this done away from Gatwick/USA)

https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Pilot-licences/Applications/Outside-EASA/FAA-certificates-for-UK-licences/

While the deadline has passed, I guess the same story will happen again if there are any change in EASA licence numbers after “control of licence numbers & format is taken back”, so maybe there is a room for you to jump in the next train couch without having to visit an FSDO in the US

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Dec 21:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Seems to me Brexit is now more unlikely than 6 months ago. I too fly a G-reg plane based in France. The thing I am more worried about should Brexit happen (which again I think it won’t) is the maintenance. Changing from g- reg too any European reg does not seem to be too much of a problem. (I have a FR License)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

I heard on the BBC this morning that there is a fair amount of money on a “Norway” solution. That would mean being inside Schengen. The first good news in this whole shambles.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

That would mean being inside Schengen.

Leaving EU to join Schengen? Wasn’t the whole idea with Brexit better control of borders and immigration?

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

Wasn’t the whole idea with Brexit

I think that the biggest problem, and why we are where we are today, is that there never was one “whole idea”, there were a whole range of objectives ranging from abstract ideas like sovereignty at one end, to rather disreputable xenophobia at the other, with various economic and governance issues in between.

EGKB Biggin Hill

…but I know that Peter is very keen to keep this on an aviation track (quite rightly, because those of us in the UK are getting wall to wall Brexit at the moment, as the rest of you can imagine) so I was just commenting on Schengen membership, which would be wonderful for aviation.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Dimme wrote:

Wasn’t the whole idea with Brexit better control of borders and immigration?

It will be a “Norway style++”, the “++” means an option to go for no-deal anytime with a “Brexit majority want to clean break-free” and some symbolic concessions (e.g. UK being able to issue different PPL numbers ), for practical purposes the ++ will never be used but it will stay with us with few spikes along the timeline for the next 20 years (like that “red flashing light button” in the cold war, you just get used to it after 10 years)

If I intend to keep a G-reg aircraft for 10 years in France, I would consider my options but I don’t think there is any need to rush changing licence/aircraft regs for Mar19 nor Mar22, practically, the CAA does not have yet the resources to deal with anything in the next 3 years and they have bigger problems to deal with first (I can’t recall how many urgent Apr deadlines I have seen Apr12, Apr13, Apr14, Apr15, Apr18 in the past and we still have Apr19, Apr20, Apr22 to come)

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Dec 10:48
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

so I was just commenting on Schengen membership, which would be wonderful for aviation.

Personally, that would likely be the single change in regulations that would be the most beneficial for my type of flying (which often involves friday evening departures), but (sadly) I’m not putting any money on it.

I know that Peter is very keen to keep this on an aviation track (quite rightly, because those of us in the UK are getting wall to wall Brexit at the moment, as the rest of you can imagine)

Come on Timothy you know perfectly well the reason for dropping brexit from the off topic / political thread was not the wall to wall media coverage. I posted some of the reasons there. Let me now give you a little example: I have asked some questions on a ski forum. They have a “non ski discussion” section, and in there is, you’ve guessed it, a brexit thread. It is (at a quick and dirty estimate) 20k posts, of which at least 99% (100% on a quick check) are (a) Remain (b) beating up somebody (c) venting their spleen over something. There is no discernible discussion taking place and most of the posts are pretty unsavoury in tone. And I doubt the entire ski forum there is even 20k posts in size… On an international forum like EuroGA you would just get the predictable groups beating up the other predictable groups (often using “politics” as a thin veil for personal attacks on specific people) and then, when it gets out of control and needs modding, all of EuroGA gets slagged off all over the national forums on the mainland. The mod now cannot act on personal attacks because obviously 100% of them are posted by Remainers and if he does act, he gets branded as a xenophobe, [insert your favourite mainland country, easy to guess the favourite]-hater, and then you get the added dimension of “forum moderation” being closely associated (by some well known former participants here) with “nazi censorship”, so the mod gets branded as a nazi, fascist, hitler… I have been called all those things, and worse. There are some seriously nasty people out there. No thanks… We are keeping EuroGA a nice clean friendly aviation forum.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Considering I was defending, agreeing and supporting your position, that’s a very defensive post

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message