Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Jacko wrote:

Indeed it is, but as @mh rightly points out, one party (DG MOVE of the European Commission) has decided to adopt a negotiating stance which tramples on the fundamental rights of those of us who are, and will remain after 29 March, European Union citizens.

What have I?

I think the DG MOVE has warned every stakeholder in advance of what will happen in case of a no-deal brexit. There was / is ample time to act accordingly. Since not even the Brits themselves know what they want, how could the EU commission know? Noone except some Brits want a brexit in the first place. And if WE are all wimps for living an active democracy while you’re being served by your own government, my pity is somewhat limited.

You’re barking up the wrong tree, mate.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Seems we are still none the wiser re this issue 50 days still to go.

LGMG, Cyprus

Unfortunately with the farce going on in Whitehall I doubt we’ll know until March 30th.

Andreas IOM

zuutroy wrote:

As soon as you deregister from the current country you can’t fly. This is a prequisite to getting a cert of registration in the new country which is in turn a prerequisite to getting a CofA and ARC. Altogether at least 4-6 weeks assuming all is well with the logs.

I’ve had the new CAA inspect the plane while still on the old register, and had them draw up in writing a list of “findings” that have to be corrected before they accept the plane. Expecting at least stuff like “the registration on the plane is the wrong one, transponder code is wrong, ELT code is wrong”. In this way, I’m hoping to minimise downtime.

ELLX

That’s the smart way to do it. Otherwise, you risk ending up with

• an unflyable plane for an indeterminate period, and
  • are over the barrel of the maintenance company doing the job

However the accepting CAA might find out a lot more than just the ELT code. In one case they found something which reduced the value of the plane by at least 50%.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Small update: I got a text from the UK CAA today: “The UK CAA has completed your licence transfer application and has sent it to your receiving National Aviation Authority”. I started this in early December, so it does take some time… The process stopped a couple of times along the way though as the UK CAA required more forms and more money along the way. That might have sent me to the back of the queue each time.

[Edit: TIL: “Note that in British English licence is the correct spelling for the noun, and is also an acceptable variant spelling of the verb. In US English both noun and verb are spelled license.” – OED]

Last Edited by alge at 15 Feb 17:25
ENOP ENVA

Clearly there is more to this as I have just seen a G reg easyjet operating at LOWI.

Administrator

From the CAA no-deal Brexit FAQ page:

NON-UK ISSUED PRIVATE PILOT LICENCES

How can I operate a UK-registered aircraft outside UK airspace?

To operate a UK-registered aircraft outside UK airspace you would need to seek a licence validation from the UK CAA. More information about how you can seek a validation will be available shortly.

The “available shortly” has been there for at least the past six months. Eight days to a likely no-deal Brexit…

I have a non-UK EASA PPL. I brought my EU-based G-reg to the UK for maintenance. I was hoping to take it back to its EU base next month. I hope the CAA pulls its finger out soon…

Last Edited by Christopher at 20 Mar 12:11
Old dog learning new tricks

I am not sure that statement is current. I recall reading the CAA has stated that they will honour EASA licenses for at least two years (for a G-reg, which is within their power). Maybe further back up this thread?

It is the other way round that, currently, will disappear i.e. the ability to fly say a D-reg or F-reg on a UK issued license. The Brussels position is that they won’t recognise anything from the UK, more or less, after 29th March.

Administrator

Peter, you are correct in saying the CAA will honour EASA licences for two years, “however only in UK airspace

My concern was with operating a G-reg outside the UK, which requires action for which information will be (ha!) “available shortly”.

CAA Brexit FAQ – Private Pilots

Old dog learning new tricks
Sign in to add your message