Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA? (merged)

Jacko wrote:

Is this Brexit business opening the door to a parallel universe where small and medium enterprises no longer quake at the words “l’m from the Government and I’m here to help you”?

I thought the phrase was “I’m from the Government and we’re not happy till you’re not happy”…

Andreas IOM

JasonC wrote:

Jacko wrote: Effectively, if all goes well next week, those of us who import goods from outside the Union (i.e. most GA avionics and maintenance businesses) will receive a significant cash-flow windfall by accounting for import and input VAT simultaneously, in the same way as we currently do on goods from member states of the Union.

That is a huge plus in a no deal scenario.

Maybe, but that stems from a purely UK-internal process decision. Nothing in the EU rules disallows (nor disallowed) the UK (or any Member State) to allow taxable persons to apply “VAT postponed accounting” on imports. At least one EU Member States already does so.


This is more complicated than it appears.

Currently, only big importers operate their own freight forwarding depot.

Most companies import via some sea or air freight cargo company, or a courier like DHL, and that company presents you a chinese takeaway sized list of charges, which include the shipping cost, and for non EU imports the import VAT.

You have to pay the entire bill.

If you are VAT registered, you can reclaim the VAT portion of that bill on your next VAT return.

So there is a cash flow impact, because you have to pay that VAT between 7 and 30 days (maybe 45 if you are big enough to stick a finger up to DHL on their payment terms) after getting the goods, but you cannot reclaim it until the next VAT return which, if quarterly, will be on average 45 days later.

Small companies using couriers like DHL have to pay that bill within 7 days. Fedex in particular are extremely aggressive (“arrogant/clumsy” is what I call it) on this and we have stopped using them, unless the customer requests it.

If this system is changed, the way I understand it is that if you are VAT registered then the shipper (who is in possession of your VAT number) won’t invoice you for the VAT.

This is straightforward conceptually but it will require all the shipping companies to implement this new system. I wonder how many will…

This is what happens on imports from the EU currently. If the supplier is in possession of your GB… VAT number, he should not invoice you for any VAT, so you have none to pay and none to reclaim.

Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Most companies import via some sea or air freight cargo company, or a courier like DHL, and that company presents you a chinese takeaway sized list of charges, which include the shipping cost, and for non EU imports the import VAT.

Again, EU legislation perfectly allows for couriers to not charge a VAT taxable person the VAT on non EU imports, even for one-offs, and to require the recipient to self-declare the VAT. That’s how it happens in at least one Member State.


I wonder which country gets this.

I can see why the couriers don’t want to implement this extra work They have a monopoly on imports, which only the big importers can bypass, I suppose…

Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Well, I have written this before, and this is worth what you are paying for it, but there must still be thousands of airline pilots with UK issued papers flying mainland-reg airliners.

Not any more there arent…I think you will find that most (if not all) of these airlines have made sure their pilots have changed their EASA state of issue, most to Austria or Holland, I know of a couple that have changed to France. Thats basic contingency planning.

Regards, SD..

I’ll transfer my licenses from UK CAA to Austro Control.

Am I doing this right? I have the following forms ready to go:

Forms from UK CAA, to be sent to UKK CAA:

  • Form SRG1202 (Transfer of Medical Records) — (*) see question below
  • Form SRG2150 (Transfer of Part-FCL License)
  • Form SRG1201 (Payment for SRG1202)
  • Form FCS1500 (Payment for SRG2150), included in SRG2150

Forms from Austro Control, to be sent to Austro Control:

Form SRG1202 says on page 2:

[…] You have included a copy of your full medical records from where your medical was undertaken by a non UK AME.

Is this really necessary, or am I misunderstanding something? How can I get my hands on my “full medical records”?

Any idea on the current processing time on both ends?



Last Edited by Zorg at 14 Aug 20:19

I did the same a few months ago. Your list sounds about right, but unless they changed something, the CAA also want a certified copy of your license (mind you – that’s a license they themselves issued !!!). Now, if you think you can just go down to your local notary public, you’d be thinking straight. IOW, you don’t think like the CAA. This certification has to be done by the head of training of an EASA certified ATO. And you have to go there in person, passport or other personal, government issued, ID in hand. And of course pay some money. Yes, really. This must be the biggest [deleted – read the Guidelines] ever.

The AustroControl side is very straightforward, although they might ask some question wrt the medical history. No big deal, can be handled by email.

Submitted documents to Austro Control. My experience so is far world’s apart from CAA:

  • Possible to speak with someone competent (who’s actually processing the paperwork) on the phone. Low waiting times at least when I called.
  • Able send scanned and signed documents by email.
  • Scans (uncertified) of licenses and medical suffice.
  • A revalidation by experience can be done (i.e., license signed) by any EASA FI, not just one licensed by Austro Control.

On the British side things are less pleasant. The equivalent forms are overly verbose and complicated, yet still unclear. Processing (reaction) times in the weeks to months. And I’m still looking for a “head of Training of an ATO” to certify copies of my licenses which were issued by the CAA.

Current processing time for the process seems to be about one month (mostly consisting of waiting for the CAA to react it seems).

Can anyone comment on CAA form SRG1202 (see my question right above on requirement to submit “full medical records”?


Seems like current response times for SOLI transfers from UK CAA are quite fast at the moment:

Sent the CAA forms by post about two weeks ago, and Austro Control forms shortly before by email. After about one week, the CAA already charged my credit GBP 45 — which I understand is the fee for the provisioning of the license data.

Note that in Austria, the Austrian aeroclub is responsible for the conversion of sailplane licenses (EASA SPL). They have a simple form which can be returned by email.

Sign in to add your message

Back to Top