Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Would you consider adding a BRS parachute to your plane ?

A lot of truth in previous posts. As an admin here I get to know a fair bit about why people who vanished from EuroGA, vanished.

The biggest factor among the older ones is loss of medical. The most accomplished travellers also get bored, run of places, and without doing “socials” (like our meet-ups) that leads to the end.

The main factors among the younger ones are divided up among

• getting married, and running out of money
  • getting kids, and running out of money
  • getting kids, and the wife (sorry; it usually is this way round*) says “you must now behave like a responsible father”
  • getting simply stuck at work, working their balls off in some high stress job

I also saw this when I rented my plane out, 2002-2006. The renters were mostly problematic in various ways; I have posted on this before.

This leads to the interesting question about where the “chute pressure” exists.

My feeling is that it is a big factor in the “older” group, in whether the wife will accompany the pilot. That is key to enjoying flying in the long run. Any kids have grown up so she is free to come on trips. I am fortunate to be in this place with Justine. But she won’t do long trips anymore, largely because she “learnt too much”, plus she gets bored Whether she would do long trips with a chute, I doubt. It doesn’t make the plane go faster. A Jetprop would be a wholly different proposition, however!

In the “younger” group it is possibly a factor if you want the whole family to accompany you, but that is relatively rare. Those who have that are really fortunate. And if you have young children, say under 20, your wife is unlikely to accompany you anyway. And a young wife (no kids) is likely to be less risk averse so a chute is less a factor.

A lot of generalisations of course, my opinions thrown in, and in reality you get a whole spectrum, but these seem to be the main patterns.

* Women pilots are much more savvy in their choice of partners and IME absolutely none would go anywhere near a man who is going to suppress their main hobby Why so many men make this basic mistake is another debate and I think we all know the reasons

As to why the SR22 has been such a success, you can read all 305 posts

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

getting kids, and the wife (sorry; it usually is this way round*) says “you must now behave like a responsible father”

This happened to me. I was miserable.

I got divorced…

Peter wrote:

whether the wife will accompany the pilot. That is key to enjoying flying

Ive not re-married, but my GF/Partner does enjoy flying and likes to visit places with me.

Im Happy…

Regards, SD..

Last Edited by skydriller at 29 Nov 06:47

Noe is correct about the Cirrus vs the competition. It is the only new SEP available that has a modern luxury car feel to it. The very high price limits accessibility though.

I am also lucky in that my partner (spouse!) enjoys flying and particularly long trips, though my long trips are not that long – more 2-3 hours at 120 knots.

EGLM & EGTN

Peter wrote:

Women pilots are much more savvy in their choice of partners and IME absolutely none would go anywhere near a man who is going to suppress their main hobby Why so many men make this basic mistake is another debate and I think we all know the reasons

Well, considering the Male to Female ratio in aviation (according to what I’ve read on the internet about 7%), women pilots have a wide choice of men interested in aviation, the other way around, well, the competition is fierce :-)

ENVA, Norway

My wife gives out to me that I don’t take her enough places! I suppose that’s the better of the two problems to have.

EIMH, Ireland

Surprisingly to me, my wife, who a year ago would have not touched a GA plane with a 10 foot pole, now insists on going on each flight. Yes, she would prefer the plane had a BRS, but apparently it isn’t a “must have” item. And she is of the type that scares easily, she still refuses to ride a motorcycle with me. Go figure.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

alioth wrote:

In the case of the slow-selling C172 with the parachute

I don’t think it was slow selling. It sold in days of the adverts appearing. I think William was only saying it didn’t sell just because it had a chute, it sold for other reasons

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Graham wrote:

The only new SEP available that has a modern luxury car feel to it.

That certainly wouldn’t interest me. A Bellanca Viking with the full 1970s bordello velour interior would be fun though… it’s just so wrong it’s right

My wife (that’s what she is, and I am her husband) likes to travel on a motorcycle much more than in a car. She’s just agreed to take her first longish light plane flight, despite getting sick on several previous flights. Why? Because she’s too stubborn to give up. She doesn’t much appreciate modern luxury cars either.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Nov 16:33

Silvaire wrote:

A Bellanca Viking with the full 1970s bordello velour interior would be fun though… it’s just so wrong it’s right

I am all over that like a rash…. it’s great!

EGLM & EGTN

QuoteMy wife (that’s what she is, and I am her husband)

I think some got me wrong. Dealing with specifics is always fine!

It’s just the generalisation of “wives do this/that” instead of “spouses/partners” that sometimes seems to deliberately portray a bit of sexism (and probably keeps women out).
On none of the examples I saw here so far the specific gender seemed to be be a factor. Spouse / partner would have conveyed the message just as well and be a bit more inclusive (sorry if to all who find themselves offended by the use of such a liberal word! )

Last Edited by Noe at 29 Nov 17:56
Sign in to add your message