Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Would you consider adding a BRS parachute to your plane ?

Graham wrote:

I would be interested to know – genuine question – whether military pilots are taught ‘pull early, pull often’ with regard to their ejection seats….. I suspect not?

I believe they do. AFAIU the most common reason for peacetime ejections are loss of control and midair collisions (e.g. during dogfight training). At low levels or in a dive you may need to decide in a split second if the situation is recoverable or it may be too late to eject. Same thing if the engine in a single-engine aircraft quits during a ground attack mission which can take place at treetop levels.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

I believe they do. AFAIU the most common reason for peacetime ejections are loss of control and midair collisions (e.g. during dogfight training). At low levels or in a dive you may need to decide in a split second if the situation is recoverable or it may be too late to eject. Same thing if the engine in a single-engine aircraft quits during a ground attack mission which can take place at treetop levels.

Absolutely – all understood – but they don’t seem to punch out with quite the regularity of Cirrus pilots pulling their handle, do they? Or if they do we don’t hear about them, but at least here in the UK the loss of a fast jet would almost certainly make mainstream news.

Perhaps what I am driving at is that the Cirrus pilot population seems to be quite good at giving their chute a job of work to do. Lots of loss of control that they shouldn’t be getting into in the first place.

EGLM & EGTN

Pilots cost more than their plane. A French Navy rafale overrun the runway once (on about 200m) and the pilot ejected.
Hence the big emphasis in SAR and combat SAR since the 90s.
Given how few pilots European air forces have, it is not going to change.

End of thread drift

The reasoning of Cirrus is simple : who decides which model you buy ? Your wife. Millionnaire or not. Same for cars. Every car dealer knows that. And CAPS meets the need of safety that is stronger for women then for men. And what is the price difference between an SR22 and a A36 ? Not much. I would prefer the A36, but I guess most women prefer the Cirrus. And even myself, a Cirrus would make me more comfortable traveling at night over water etc… so CAPS increases the utility of the plane.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 27 Nov 17:47
LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

The reasoning of Cirrus is simple : who decides which model you buy ? Your wife.

I am doing this a lot lately but it is the same in sailing – albeit making things less safe rather than more.

When a man (and it is almost always a man) wants to buy a sailing boat, he generally has to clear it with his wife. What do you think his wife is more impressed by, large cabins and marble surfaces in the en-suite, or a good solid hull-to-keel joint?

EGLM & EGTN

Jujupilote wrote:

Pilots cost more than their plane.

Are you sure? A quick google suggests that the UK government estimates the unit cost of a Eurofighter Typhoon at about £110m.

EGLM & EGTN

Aircraft and jet training cost is 140m£, getting 30m£ (or 60m£ for two) is not bad for a 5y investment that went sour

I am not counting meat here

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Nov 18:28
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Graham wrote:

they don’t seem to punch out with quite the regularity of Cirrus pilots pulling their handle, do they?

No, but I am sure that pilots of any air force today are much better trained and experienced than Cirrus pilots, fly more capable aircraft and also operate in a more regulated environment where their superiors are also involved in mission planning and risk assessment. Meaning that they are more unlikely to find themselves in a situation where they would considering using a parachute.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 27 Nov 19:18
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

And I am fairly confident those gods will most certainly eject in case of a powerplant loss (and that that is the SOP, not “show their talent” and land off runway)!

This „wife likes large cabins and marble tops“ talk is outdated and has no place anywhere anymore. I don’t think new Cirrus purchases fall in the category of „household negotiation“. Many step up to turboprops and jets after a Cirrus. Besides that:
Many Cirrus customers are women (business women buying factory new 1m dollar planes), and nobody talks about their husbands approving only BRS planes.

In the end it’s the same over and over again, those who buy a Cirrus do so because all points compared it’s not a bad choice. Speed, comfort, avionics, and yes, why not get BRS/caps as part of the deal. You can do a fantasy test: what would you buy (if you really had 500k-1m) that fits most of your needs? In Europe a DA42 works well too due to JetA.

always learning
LO__, Austria

For 1M, nothing touches a Jetprop

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message