Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anyone loves HAZE?

Can't believe I'm the only one who hates HAZE with a passion - but if a busy Farnboro W was anything to go by yesterday it didn't seem to worry anyone else. Waited until 3pm but as soon as I was at circuit height (800ft QFE) I was surrounded by my pet hate. Couldn't see Stokenchurch Mast but decided to plod on - WCO, must be down there somewhere - Oxford Mast - yes, saw that - Membury Mast - no - Kingsclere Mast - another no - found my way back to Sierra VRP - and yippeee there was WW - even managed one of my better landings. Engine appeared to be duly grateful to have been taken for an outing - but I can't wait for some cloud and rain for better vis.

EGLM

but I can't wait for some cloud and rain for better vis.

Spoken like a true Brit! ;)

EGTK Oxford

You're not the only one. It has been annoying me for a week. It's like soup here.

EGTT, The London FIR

Was sorely tempted to go for a flight this morning but blue sky there may have been but I couldn't see the tops of the hills from the house....so I butchered a tree instead (well as far up as I could reach even up a ladder..ok not so far as being 5'3" and the problem of not quite being able to reach the rudder pedals on a C172....now the Robin DR400 is fine) .

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

I don't mind haze, so long as it is not so bad that one cannot see the end of the runway from a 1 mile final

Actually that is 1600m vis which is legal VFR nowadays...

One has to navigate with a GPS in anything around a few km or less.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

People, this haze is because of a high pressure system causing an inversion around 1500ft. If you climb through it you will be rewarded with unlimited visibility, smooth air and less other traffic...

On Sunday, SFC was +5C, cloud layer 2000ft-3500ft with -3C inside (and plenty of ice), and +6C at 4000ft

So much for met theory... I don't think I have seen a "standard day" in 11 years.

Administrator

I dont mind a bit of haze, it's where having an IMCr and at least one GPS system makes it relatively easy work. I wouldnt be so keen if I didnt have a GPS as spotting lakes, towns, churches or whatever is pretty hard going at the best of times.

Plus, if it's a low haze layer, then its normally crystal clear above, with nice smooth flight conditions, and you can see traffic much easier than even 10k viz below. What would concern me would be haze that turns into fog and prevents safe flight and a safe landing, especially as my home airfield is A/G and has no published approaches. In the early morning, I'd want to trends showing improvements in cloud base or viz to make sure it wasnt going to deterioate to fog, and in the late evening likewise I'd be cautious.

You Brits just stop moaning and just move here! :)

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

This is what one usually finds on top of an inversion; this is from a few days ago

Administrator
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message