Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glass cockpit aircraft more likely to have accidents which are fatal?

Flyer59 wrote:

((You don’t use HDG+NAV to intercept the Localizer?))

Do you? I use HDG+APR

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

You don’t use HDG+NAV to intercept the Localizer?

Do you? I use HDG+APR

And you guys are looking for supporting evidence for the threat title??

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There’s more than one way, that’s all. And there’s different SR22 avionics versions and autopilots.

@TJ That’s the S-TE55X autopilot, right?

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 20 Dec 11:58

Flyer59 wrote:

@TJ That’s the S-TE55X autopilot, right?

Correct.

I appreciate that the example does not reflect well on my button-pushing skills! But I put it in to show how easy it is to overlook something basic when the workload is very high. Memory is a bit hazy but I think that immediately after setting the intercept heading I was passed from approach to tower. Because of everything else that had been happening (rapid vector heading changes, steep descent) I hadn’t preset the tower frequency. So in the time it took to do so and establish contact with the tower the plane was about to fly through the localiser. But the important point, IMHO, is to recognise that at moments like that downgrade the automation. Don’t start scratching your head trying to work it out. That’s what causes you to fly into a mountainside.

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

BTW, I have now changed things so that I press APR (not NAV) immediately I’m on the intercept heading. Waiting doesn’t normally cause a problem but in this case it did.

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

I know nothing about the S-TE55X, so it is normal that I don’t know how that works. All good!
With the DFC90 you would not press APP, you would just use HDG+NAV, and if an ILS frequency is set and the Final Course too, that’s all you need to do.

Peter wrote:

I was just teasing, of course.

But in any case that particular A/P buttonology is not glass specific.

But correct/incorrect use of autopilot modes is nothing to do with glass cockpits? Poor understanding of autopilots is equally an issue in conventional cockpits.

TJ wrote:

But the important point, IMHO, is to recognise that at moments like that downgrade the automation.

When I resumed flying in 2013 after my 17 year break and was introduced to EFIS and FMS for the first time, I watched this video

It made quite an impression on me. That lesson has perhaps not (yet) saved my life, but at least saved me from embarrassment a couple of times.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 20 Dec 12:49

Balliol wrote:

It is perfectly possible to teach a PPL on EFIS with no extra hours at all, it is primary flight instrumentation after all and remember the student is not converting from any previous experience

With å Dynon or G3x touch there is no problem going from one system to the other. It’s only the G1000 that artificially created a problem due to the ancient architecture.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message