Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is this the lowest and highest pressure ever in/near Europe?

Is this the lowest pressure ever seen?

I don’t recall seeing anything as low as 941 before.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A quick google finds this

The north atlantic record is 882hPa, so 60hPa to go…

LSZK, Switzerland

I have personally seen 920 on the barometer near a Typhoon off the coast of Japan. Pretty hairy stuff.

London area

What I find mainly impressive is the difference from 941 to 1033 hPa over a distance of perhaps a 1000 NM – must be pretty windy!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

There was a storm last Xmas with lower pressure 935.

Dirk

United Kingdom

At the start of this year sometime in the UK I encountered a QNH in the 930s. Requesting the QNE was met by a flustered sounding standby while they searched for the books. When it was eventually given there was some confusion as to what way they were supposed to issue descents after giving it. All worked out fine after establishing on the ILS and after a phone call later I believe NATS are in the process of clarifying the procedure in the relevant books.

United Kingdom

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Apparently 925.6 was recorded.

I immediately thought of the Fastnet tragedy and the so called great storm but neither were accompanied by such a pronounced pressure gradient.

Your example I think may have it on total pressure differential but both low and high are a fair way away from us.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 26 Dec 10:35

Certainly not the highest. I recall that quite a few planes had trouble with 1056 QNH’s in recent years in Moscow, as their altimeters could not deal with them.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
108 Posts
Sign in to add your message