Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is this the lowest and highest pressure ever in/near Europe?

@Fuji_Abound: is that picture really from 27th January 1884? If so, really impressive! If not: what’s become of the famous Deutsche Grundlichkeit?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

…is that picture really from 27th January 1884?

Yes. The archive goes back until 1871: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsreaeur.html

EDDS - Stuttgart

I had few days ago 1035 flying locally. I’m in eastern Europe and we have for some period of time quite high pressure values.

LYSD, LYBJ

A year or two ago (actually possibly pretty close to two years exactly) I was given a QNH in the 930 range in the UK. I believe it may have dropped to 920 something (927 rings a bell) somewhere in the Scottish islands I think. This is the only time I have ever had to request QNE and it wasn’t an overly enjoyable experience with controllers almost audibly running to find manuals and then confusion afterwards about who takes care of corrections for descents.

United Kingdom

Pirho wrote:

This is the only time I have ever had to request QNE and it wasn’t an overly enjoyable experience with controllers almost audibly running to find manuals and then confusion afterwards about who takes care of corrections for descents.

Particularly with the wide-spread misunderstanding of what QNE really means. Most people seem to think it is a pressure setting such as QFE and QNH (and so did I for a long time), while it is actually the altimeter reading on the ground at a particular station with the altimeter on standard setting. Fortunately Wikipedia has it right!

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 28 Dec 08:56
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Related subject: The enclosed link to “Nullschool” show WHY the northern Uk and presumably Scandinavia is being hammered with record levels of rainfall and constant strong winds. The jet stream has been kinked down towards Spain for some time and a southerly airflow is keeping temperatures way higher than they should be. The kink in the jetstream apparently intensifies any low pressure area heading for the Western Approaches. We are about to get one on Wednesday which is accelerating this way.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/500hPa/orthographic=-61.19,15.44,583

I can see other parts of Europe are experiencing some descent weather. For North West Europe its grim. 400 year old bridges washed away here, Cities in Northern England trashed. Flood levels max ever recorded being exceeded by 20%. Flood defences put in place three years ago for multi millions useless against these new levels. They said we could expect this with climate change but I never though it would happen so quickly.

EGNS/Garey Airstrip, Isle of Man

I did a flight today and the QNH was 1044 which I am pretty sure was the highest ever for me.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

1044 now in EBLG too ! We did a flight this afternoon and it was 1043. Regional QNH was 1041. Never seen that either.

Jean
EBST, Belgium

When I flew this morning, Brize gave the London QNH to someone as 1045. The Brize was 1044. By the afternoon it was 1043. At Compton Abbas, elevation 880 feet, the QFE was higher than sea level ISA.

strip near EGGW

Peter wrote:

I did a flight today and the QNH was 1044 which I am pretty sure was the highest ever for me.

Just came back from night VFR training and we “only” had 1043. Can’t remember seeing that before either.

EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message