Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How old are you ? How old, when you started to fly ?

I’m too old to tell my age (and not old enough to be proud of it). I started to fly at 21, when I was a student. I had to give 4 hours of maths lessons for 50 mn of flight. The instructor was so bad and my money so scarce that I gave up and started gliding. I enjoyed gliding but not the club environment (newbies were there to move things on the ground, to get sunburned, to give all the money they had, and if they behaved they were allowed to fly with an instructor at the end of the day when the thermal were gone, so you paid an aerotow for a flight of 5 mn, I have many of them in my logbook). So I gave up gliding at 24. I had enough money to fly for good soon enough but the free time I had I wanted to spend it with my family. So I started to fly again at 45, when the kids began to be less present at home. It took me 24 years to get my PPL. I really don’t understand how young working people with a family can fly and stay married.
Since I caught up with EASA CPL, IR, CRI ,TMG, French Microlight fixed wing full instructor, training for MEP, then IR-ME and then a full FI

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 21 Jan 20:30

That’s an amazing story, Piotr

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Started in the cadets at 14
PPL at 25
CPL at 27
ATPL at 31
Now 33 and impending children (or my wife’s views on childcare) will probably curtail flying outside work for the next few years

London area

20/52 now

Last Edited by Tigerflyer at 21 Jan 21:44
EDWF, Germany

Josh wrote:

or my wife’s views on childcare)

Don’t you let that happen! You have a right to happiness too

LFPT, LFPN

32 31 :)

Last Edited by ermajn at 21 Jan 22:30
LQVI,LJMB

44/26

EGTK Oxford

53/15

EDDS - Stuttgart

PPL at 20, ATPL at 24 till 60, now 66 w. PPL/IFR

EDxx, Germany

Started to fly gliders at 15 and still do, got my PPL in 2012, now I am 34.

EHTE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message