Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen cannulas - are we getting ripped off?

Mountain High

USD 8.00 each

Amazon, one of various disposable ones

GBP 5.77 for a pack of 10 (there is a ripoff postage on that one but there are many other examples)

The only difference is that the MH one has the correct diameter pipe on the end of it, to fit the O2D2 regulator. But it would be trivial to transplant this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I paid >150 EUR for a MH adapter for refilling the cylinder. Any questions?

EDLE

Yes it is trivial to just warm up the the end and push a bit from the MH hose in.
MH is doing the same.

United Kingdom

Do you replace these after one-time use btw?

I have the mustache style Oxymizer cannulas and I find them too expensive for disposal after use.

I don’t use them often anyway, so currently I clean and disinfect them with a spray afterwards. How do others handle this?

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Do you replace these after one-time use btw?

Normally I mark a cannula with the initials of the person who used them and after the passenger has gone home I wash it out in IPA (isopropyl alcohol), including filling it right up to the other end, then blow the IPA out with compressed air. Then I let it dry out and put it into a zip seal bag, for the passenger to use next time they fly with me.

Some people won’t be seen again so those cannulas I chuck away. You never know what somebody had in their lungs, etc…

The oxymiser cannulas are indeed too pricey to chuck away but once you move to the O2D2 you don’t need to use that type anymore. I don’t think they can be cleaned because they contain the reservoir bag and it would be difficult to get all the IPA out of the bag after the wash.

Administrator

It’s not so simple.

I bought the Amazon ones linked above.

Two problems:

The internal diameter is greater and together with the ridges (why the ridges?) the cross-sectional area is about 2x bigger than the MH one.

That will reduce the ability of the O2D2 regulator to detect the start of the inhalation cycle – because you have twice as much gas to shift back and forth. One solution would be to halve the tube length, but that would make it awkward to use.

The ridges make it difficult to seal onto the MH adaptor tube (a short length of specific outside diameter stiff tubing which MH attach to the end of their cannulas, and which fits into the O2D2 regulator pipe connector), shown here with a double-ended metal nipple

Obviously it’s still possible, with heatshrink sleeving / sealant. It’s just more hassle…

But it would be better to find a commercial cannula which is of the right internal diameter.

Also the particular Amazon cannula above is really a childrens’ size.

Administrator

Why don’t you go to the hospital and ask to see the oxygen nosebrills. They are Universal and if they fit, you can get the number and buy them in a medical store. I don’t think they are that expensive.

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

A google on oxygen nosebrills turns up nothing. Is there a typo?

Administrator

I will have a look: we call it a “neusbril” in english it will be like: nasal cannule or something like that.

http://www.vitalitymedical.com/nasal-cannula.html

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

The German term for this is “Sauerstoffbrille” or “Nasenbrille”.

I bought a set of 50 from amazon about a year ago for EUR 30 (Cannulas). This specific set is no longer available but the same supplier now sells a set of 50 cannulas in green for EUR 50. Apart from the colour, mine a re transparent, they seem to be identical.

There is a connector at the end of the tube, see photo on amazon, which is designed to fit to connectors used on pressure reducers in medical oxygen equipment. I just cut this off with a knife and insert the tube directly into the connector of the MH O2D2. Fits perfectly and works fine, ie. the O2D2 recognises properly when one is inhaling and releases a gust of oxygen.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria
56 Posts
Sign in to add your message