Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen cannulas - are we getting ripped off?

Peter wrote:

I’ve been to FL210, which in the summer is more than likely 22000ft or so,

It’s the pressure altitude that matters. not the density altitude. (For the lungs anyway.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I tried my “cheap cannulas with long connecting tube” on the ground with my oxygen concentrator (Inogen), and they seem to work well. The connector on the cannula works directly on the machine, no adaptation needed like with the MH O2D2.

ELLX

For someone who flies a lot on O2 and wants to still “look cool”, this could be of interest:
O2 feed integrated into glasses
The link to the Marienfield web site gives a list of optician partners around Europe. Certainly not a product for cheapskates, though.

Doesn’t look like it has an oxymizer built in, so likely an O2 hog.

Last Edited by chflyer at 17 Jun 09:56
LSZK, Switzerland

Oxygen generator posts moved to the oxygen generator thread.

BTW the cannula tube internal diameter doesn’t matter if you are using an oxygen generator, or any other constant gas flow source, because there is no inhalation detection involved. The gas just flows continuously.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

BTW the cannula tube internal diameter doesn’t matter if you are using an oxygen generator, or any other constant gas flow source, because there is no inhalation detection involved. The gas just flows continuously.

Negative. The Inogens work with inhalation detection, and inject a “puff” of oxygen on inhale. The volume of the “puff” is varied depending on the inhalation frequency, so that the oxygen per minute is constant.

ELLX

Update. The green Tiga-Med cannulas give out a almondish-chemical smell which I don’t mind, but that some passengers hate. Also, the tubing length is a bit much for my installation, but the connector seems to be firmly glued/welded in place, so not easy to cut the tubing to shorten it, and place the connector again. Especially when connected to my “Y shaped tubing” to share one machine (two people), the total length is unmanageable.

ELLX
56 Posts
Sign in to add your message