Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying with pets

Rob wrote:

… I understand the problem is getting the pet back into the uk

The UK (and some other countries with quarantine regulations for animals) are a problem. But between most other European countries, carrying pets is not much regulated. I have flown with dogs of all sizes (my employer has a Great Dane weighing approx 50kg…) brought along by passengers using all kinds of aeroplanes. So far, there have not been any problems. No special ear protection has ever been used on any of these dogs.

Make sure that the dog is always attached to a lead when on the airfield, especially before opening the door after landing. A loose dog on the apron may shut down an international airport for some time which might result in an expensive experience…

Last Edited by what_next at 24 Jan 09:03
EDDS - Stuttgart

Jack Russell with ear protection over the Taunus mountains NW of Frankfurt on January 18th, 2016

Last Edited by nobbi at 24 Jan 10:12
EDxx, Germany

Mutt Muffs work well as shown in nobbi´s picture

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Since I got my pilot light sence 15 years ago we took our dogs with us in the plane. No problem in Europe at all with it. Just taking the pet passport with us. Last year we have been in UK and Ireland and this is a bit of a mess: my wife took the Eurotunnel to enter the UK and I met her and the dog in Lydd again. But after that it was okay. Only the guys at Shannon International seemed confused, because they told us, that they have never had a dog flying in before.
Foto shows releaxed dog on the backseat together with passenger.

EDDS , Germany

I have taken my dog flying many times. He usually just sleeps from engine start to stop! I have never used any form of ear defenders but he was already starting to get a bit old and deaf when I first started taking him.

I bought him a body harness and a short lead/leash attachment which has a clip one end and a seatbelt attachment on the other. That way, he is safely tethered in the back of the aircraft but can move just enough to turn around if he gets uncomfortable. I also got him his own doggy life jacket! I’ve never taken him abroad however as he doesn’t have a passport.

He clearly didn’t have any objections to flying – a few times I had to stop him from trying to jump up onto the wing by himself. I should mention that he has always enjoyed travelling by car also.

UK, United Kingdom

Flying with pets…it’s simples, at least this is how I would do it if I had a dog:

Well, if we’re using YT as evidence, this one! seems to not mind flying either ;-)
But yes, dogs have very sensitive hearing, the ear muffs mentioned previously look mighty interesting for this canine use case.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I take my dog flying all of the time. I have been looking into the problem of bringing them back into the UK and have recently learnt that with a little bit of preparation it actually is possible. You need to have a VAT registered company which you then get aligned via a written declaration with a handling agent that is an approved carrier. I haven’t actually done it yet but am planning to.

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 25 Jan 20:09
Forever learning
EGTB

I’m still pursuing this.
I understand that it is actually possible but it requires the cooperation of the AOC holder.
You need a VAT registered company of your own and that company enters an agreement via a MROP form with the AOC holder that is approved for carriage of pets.
I have seen documentary proof that it is achievable but cannot find anyone at Oxford (or Biggin as a 2nd choice) that is willing to co-operate.

Forever learning
EGTB

Hello,

I’m wondering if it is possible to fly with a pet to from the UK to France.
If it is possible apart from the usual documents what else is required?

Thanks!

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message