Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA paper piggyback licence - getting it current

It’s been a while since I last flew in the USA. in fact so long that I still have a paper licence which I know is longer valid however I would like to get it up and running again.

Other problems are it was based on a UK PPL. I now hold EASA and UK CPL. Also my address is different.

Would visiting the CAA and submitting SRG2110 get it all up and running (I know I would need to do a BFR)

The deadline for converting the paper license to plastic has expired. The paper license is no longer valid.

I believe you would therefore need to apply for FAR 61.75 over again, and I do not think you will avoid having to pay a visit to the FSDO of your choice in the US for the delivery of the license. Hopefully if you had an IR added to your US license, Oklahoma City would still have a trace of it, but if in the mean time you have changed your European license number (JAR-EASA conversion), I do not know how that will play out.

It is very simple to contact the Airmen Certificate Branch by e-mail. They will answer your questions.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 15 Feb 19:59
LFPT, LFPN

I too have a plastic card piggy-back FAA Airman Certificate that I like to “brush up” to make it valid.

Here are the items that I am thinking about fixing:

1. With my new EASA PPL my license number was changed from SE -1234567890 into SE .FCL.1234567890
  2. The printed address on my FAA certificate is old. But I have updated the address in the online FAA database.
  3. My FAA Certificate lacks English Language Proficiency
  4. I now have an EASA instrument rating that I would like to add to the FAA certificate.

My first plan was to do all of the above items in one go – in Europe- if that is possible.
But now I am leaning towards only making the FAA Certificate valid by updating it with the correct EASA License number through this process https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/easa/
Thinking that that will give me a new plastic card showing my correct address and that it will add language proficiency.
And that I can add the instrument rating later, maybe when I am actually visiting in the US.

What do you think about this plan?
Would you do it differently?

ESTL

I think that’s a reasonable way to do it.

In order to add the IR to your FAA 61.75 you will need to pass the US IR TK for foreign pilots, and either visit a FSDO, or one of the two FAA DPE in the UK (and pay their fees).

In the process of updating the foreign license number I believe the Swedish CAA will authenticate your license and ratings, including your IR. Therefore adding the IR to your FAA license may not require further foreign license validation, at least if you try to contact the FAA airmen certification branch rapidly after your foreign license number change. Unless they are totally anal about the process, it may save you an additional license validation.

I am interested about feedback on the topic of adding new ratings to a 61.75 myself…

Last Edited by Aviathor at 29 Feb 13:07
LFPT, LFPN
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message