Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Thermawing

Cobalt wrote:

So between a reputational problem with its launch aircraft, conservative pilots and Cessna, it didn’t make it,

Cobalt nailed it.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Where did you get that ? I have NEVER seen a dedicated back-up battery for the TKS system.

DA42 but you’re right it’s not dedicated battery. Switching ALTERNATE at TKS panel connects pump to RH bus – I believe in case of alternator failure it will be supplied from battery. Correct me if I’m wrong.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Correct. ALTERNATE is a direct link between MAIN PUMP 2 and the RH BUS.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

TKS will always run from the aircraft battery, if the alternator fails.

Thermawing will stop working the instant that its dedicated alternator fails.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Columbia/Corvalis has a cross-tie so you need both alternators to fail to be out of luck.

EGTR

Correct, but this makes no difference to the Thermawing system.

The control box is powered from the avionics bus (which is powered in turn from both main buses via diodes, no cross-tie required), but the power for the Thermawing system it controls is taken from a dedicated third alternator.

I also seem to remember that the voltage used for the Thermawing system is higher – 80 Volt or thereabouts – probably to keep the currents lower than if using 28V.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

I also seem to remember that the voltage used for the Thermawing system is higher – 80 Volt or thereabouts – probably to keep the currents lower than if using 28V.

Correct.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Alternator failure may be a risk, but falling out of the sky because of nonexistent deicing may be a bigger risk. Depends on individual risk assessment.
So what’s the actual status of thermawing – not available, avaible only for Cessna, or available and STCable for other aircraft ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message