Banner
Welcome to our forums

Thermawing

Is it not?

Rwy20 wrote:

Is it not?

And how do you get there?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I believe there is an old video made by the FAA about ice bridging which concluded that “modern” boots did not present the bridging issues and boots could be turned on even with very limited ice build-up.

I do not myself have any experience with boots, though. Only TKS.

LFPT, LFPN

The one thing which is very unfortunate about the Thermawing, is it for sure isn’t pretty. It looks like somebody put duct tape on the wing leading edges. And that is exactly what it is.

LFPT, LFPN

From here

I wish there was an alternative for light SEPs.

There is. It is called Thermawing or Evade. Soon coming to the SR22 as well…

Last Edited by Aviathor at 18 Sep 13:11
LFPT, LFPN

How long have I been reading about Thermawing? I think for more than ten years and at least 7 years about an SR22 STC. Also not all problems have been solved, and there is no FIKI version …

Most SR22s are not FIKI.

LFPT, LFPN

Yes, because most SR22s were built in 2006 when there was no FIKI for the SR22. Most NEW SR22s are FIKI though, like many G3s, and almost all G5s and G6s.

There are also some pretty big issues with the way the large Thermawing alternator is being driven, in certain types. I will leave it to others familiar with it to fill in the details.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On early installations the de-ice alternator was installed on the rear right of the engine and driven by a belt from the starter adapter accessory drive normally used to drive the A/C compressor. That caused three issues:

1. It was allegedly straining the starter adapter accessory shaft and bearings the result of which was that the starter adapter cores were so beaten up that they were beyond repair.
  2. There was no woodruff key on the accessory pulley which would occasionally slip on the shaft prompting a mechanic to overtorque it causing damage to the shaft. Continental published updated torque values for the accessory pulley, and subsequently I have heard that the shaft/pulley were redesigned to incorporate a wildfire key.
  3. The alternator did not get adequate cooling behind the engine and needed repair/replacement after about 250 hrs

All Thermawing alternators on new installations are now located in front of the engine, on the left, in place of the L ALT which is relocated to the rear right of the engine and driven off the starter adapter.

There is a conversion kit available for earlier installations.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message