Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How cheap can a piston twin go?

Your engine overhaul costs are rising with every post… I have qoutes for 17k€ for an O360 plus taxes and installation, but it doesn’t matter if they go into a Cherokee or into a Travel Air. 50k£ per engine seems like either a total rip off or a very rare engine.

That a normal MEP is needed to fly inline thrust twins does not have much impact on the necessary proficiency to fly those OEI, I reckon.

Last Edited by mh at 17 Mar 00:01
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

mh wrote:

I have qoutes for 17k€ for an O360 plus taxes and installation, but it doesn’t matter if they go into a Cherokee or into a Travel Air.

We exchanged an IO-360 for an overhauled engine last year for about 30k€ including all taxes, freight costs and installation. (Overhaul done by a British shop, installation by a Swedish shop.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 17 Mar 07:44
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In terms of zero timing an engine I am being generous. The trouble is in my experience you start out with a number but the shop then says well you may a well do the prop. at the same time, and the overhaul doesnt include this and that (which you may as well do at the same time) as so the estimate / bill grows. Of course you dont have to do any of those things and that will inevitably keep the cost down.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Can people posting planecheck links please use the site posted earlier i.e. https://plane2pdf.cryo.dev/ to get a local copy of the advert? Othewise, by the time somebody takes a look, it has probably gone.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Lovely Garmin G3X Touch in it

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Buy it and report back to us after your first annual! ;)

ESSZ, Sweden

Both engines very likely to need overhaul soon and I guess priced in. Worst case scenario and there could be a bill of £70K in the relatively short term, but everything else being equal (havent looked at the rest of it) you might have a lovely aircraft for the next 15 years for £100K.

That siad I think the single engine performance is pretty miserable, and will be even worse with two old engines. Given there are twins at similiar prices with good single engine performance I am not sure the merits of opting for one without.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 23 Jan 10:43

Is the G3X even stc‘d for IFR in this airframe?

always learning
LO__, Austria

I think the 695 was only ever a VFR portable….

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland
Sign in to add your message