Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Importance of maintaining the right order... (drinking and flying)

EDAQ, Germany

slowflyer wrote:

Unfortunately available only in german language.

In English here:

http://www.baaa-acro.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/D-IDVK.pdf

[ local copy ]

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

This was hardly an accident primarily caused by alcohol – yes, the PIC was taking Parkinson medication and had 0.025pc (limit 0.02pc) alcohol, and it was obvious the crew and passengers had a drink before departure or on the trip, but the accident itself was a traditional CFIT when descending too low on an approach in IMC with no approach guidance, a feat that was repeated by a completely sober crew in exactly the same place in a small jet, and countless other times at other airports.

This doesn’t mean alcohol is OK, but here it was at best a contributing factor, not the primary cause of the accident.

Biggin Hill

Just bumped into a pilot who has had this at Biarritz.

In fact he got “turned over” there every time he has been there recently. It is a part of the police school which is based there. He now has a document pack prepared which he just gives them. They look for the VAT document firstly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

aart wrote:

I usually pass out before midnight, so at least 8 hours from bottle to throttle.

This is a myth. I often “encounter” people who are over the driving limit (which is 4x higher than the flying limit) much more than 8 hours after they stop drinking.

One way of achieving this without even being very drunk the night before is to drink spirits on an empty stomach. The sphincter at the bottom of the stomach recognises the level of poison and does not let it through, so the drinker does not absorb it and does not get very drunk.

Next morning, he has a nice cup of tea which mixes with the alcohol and reduces its toxicity to a level acceptable to the stomach and the whole lot gets delivered to the gut. So, there he is, 9am, after stopping drinking at midnight, with a few double scotches coursing through his veins. That’s when to start the eight hour clock ticking.

I see a lot of lives wrecked through drink drive. Not just the drivers themselves, but their families, employers, employees and other dependents.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Aart, regarding LESB testing, I doubt it’s an issue there but the authorities should move around 4nm SSE of your airfield, to another airfield if they wish to catch anyone.

Spain

I had it after a weather diversion to Szeged LHUD.

Tököl LHTL
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message